#1 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 09:43 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Convertible Top Problems CLK430

I have a 2001 CLK430 in which my top stopped working, it was only releasing the first lock for the soft top, but no releasing the other lock that that weird tool is used. When I check the pump it was leaking real bad and after learning of top hydraulics on this forum I sent it to get it fixed. Got it back Saturday and today I installed it and put fresh fluid on it. Tried it and it was doing the same thing. I got inside the trunk and was able to see the first lock releasing but the second one that opens the compartment it wasn't even actuating. Can a bad relay do this? What can it be? There are no other leaks anywhere.

PS: Klaus thanks for the quick turn around on the pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 11:22 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
I am not sure about lock one, lock two...but make sure that the screw on the pump is in the clockwise position. After fixing my valve, my lid would open but my convertible top would not pull back, I thought I still had a valve problem (I checked relay and that was good). I then remembered that I opened my top manually which includes turning the valve screw counterclockwise (in manual) and forgot to turn back. Once I turned back, my top worked fine. Not sure if this is your prob but thought I would mention.

And Klaus is great to work with. I still need to post my valve experience.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 01:07 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 02 clk 55 cabriolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarroyo View Post
I have a 2001 CLK430 in which my top stopped working, it was only releasing the first lock for the soft top, but no releasing the other lock that that weird tool is used. When I check the pump it was leaking real bad and after learning of top hydraulics on this forum I sent it to get it fixed. Got it back Saturday and today I installed it and put fresh fluid on it. Tried it and it was doing the same thing. I got inside the trunk and was able to see the first lock releasing but the second one that opens the compartment it wasn't even actuating. Can a bad relay do this? What can it be? There are no other leaks anywhere.

PS: Klaus thanks for the quick turn around on the pump.
The whole top system is powered from the same relay so not likely your problem. could you still have air in the system? maybe try a few cycles of the system. make sure the trunk is closed and luggage cover in place.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 03:55 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2011
(Thread Starter)
The screw is on the full clockwise position. After I open the lock behind the seats with the weird tool do I have to return it to the original position after it opens. Maybe one of the micro switches or the lock itself??? Please someone help.....Thanks.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Supporting Vendor

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: '03 SL Kleemann, 1997 SL320 Pano Top, 1998 SL500 Pano Top, '99 SL500, ML320, parting out many R129s
Post troubleshooting

alarroyo,

I hope that someone else can give better pointers, since I don't own a CLK and have only been upgrading its components.

If the hydraulic system in an R129 (90s SL-Class) stops mid-cycle, there are several possibilities that I discuss with my customers:

1) Did your controller need a reset? That is usually the case after the battery has been low or disconnected. Don't know if this applies to W208 controllers, and usually controllers don't need to be reset if the window drop feature still works.

2) If that wasn't it, which wires leading to micro switches could have been disturbed or disconnected during recent work on the car? Or is any micro switch caked in dirt? (On an R129, I can usually tell which micro switch isn't doing the job, based on where in the cycle the system is stopping, but I'm too ignorant on the W208.)

3) Did any micro switch get bumped out of alignment during recent work? That is unusual, and micro switches don't usually break on their own.

4) Is any lock in an undefined state (not fully open or closed), and confusing the controller? (That may apply only to certain R129 locks that have readout for both open and closed position.)

The two locks with the aluminum cylinders in them can both be operated manually. The long, narrow one can be turned with a 6-mm Allen wrench (I guess that 6-mm Allen wrench is attached to the weird tool you are referring to). The triangular shaped one accepts a 10-mm open wrench on one side. Things might miraculously work after you have cycled both of these locks manually.

Lastly, do you know someone who has Star Diagnosis? That could read the fault codes of your controller and narrow down the problem quickly...

Hope this helps,

-Klaus

klaus@tophydraulicsinc.com

Klaus Witte, Top Hydraulics, Inc.

We upgrade and rebuild hydraulic cylinders for Mercedes R129, R170, R171, R230, W124, W208, W209,
as well as Audi, Bentley, BMW, Cadillac, Chrysler, Ferrari, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Lexus, Mini Cooper, Opel, Peugeot, Porsche, Rolls-Royce, Saab, VW

Also rebuilding pumps and ADS valves...

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

Convertible top hydraulic system diagrams and DIY instructions:

http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/c...y-instructions

#6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2011
I had the same problem with my CLK. Klaus from Top Hydraulics was the only one that was able to help me. I went to 2 different dealers and got nowhere. Klaus made me a great price and helped me to get this fixed very quick.

Thanks again
#7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
This thread from the W209 forum possibly might help here - I think the soft top management system is similar.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209...p-problem.html
#8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Supporting Vendor

Vehicle: '03 SL Kleemann, 1997 SL320 Pano Top, 1998 SL500 Pano Top, '99 SL500, ML320, parting out many R129s
Lightbulb Leak from pressure relief valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus1953 View Post
I had the same problem with my CLK. Klaus from Top Hydraulics was the only one that was able to help me. I went to 2 different dealers and got nowhere. Klaus made me a great price and helped me to get this fixed very quick.

Thanks again
klaus1953, (there is no relation - the name match is a coincidence with both of us originally being from Germany) Thank you for your kind words!

The problem in klaus1953's system was a leaking pressure relief valve. That's the one you turn with the white plastic cone. Klaus1953 was lucky that we were able to polish out what the valve debris had caused in damage and were able to refit an oversized seal, so that we did not have to replace the whole valve block. Thus the "great price"...

keyhole, there are quite a few differences between W208 and W209's soft top systems, so the drawings or schematics in the referenced thread could be confusing to W208 owners. Most notably, the W209 does not have the R129-style lock cylinders for the rear of the soft top and for the tonneau cover lock (both of these are notorious for failing quite early), the W209 does not have the same pressure relief valve on the pump block, but the W209 has a front lock cylinder that is prone to early failure. Lastly, it seems that MB has solved some of the problems with hydraulic lines getting pinched or rubbing to much, which leads to catastrophic failure.

The main thing to keep in mind when troubleshooting the micro switch system, is to "put yourself into the shoes of the controller":

- Where exactly did the cycle stop, and what was the last step that the controller might register as unfinished.

- Which signals from micro switches could be confusing, so that the controller will stop operation because the readout is illogical.

- Was the battery low, so that the controller may have lost memory where the windows are at now? In that case, follow the reset or resynch procedure needed after the battery was disconnected or low, as outlined in your manual.

Hope this helps,

-Klaus

We upgrade and rebuild hydraulic cylinders for Mercedes R129, R170, R171, R230, W124, W208, W209,
as well as Audi, Bentley, BMW, Cadillac, Chrysler, Ferrari, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Lexus, Mini Cooper, Opel, Peugeot, Porsche, Rolls-Royce, Saab, VW

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

#9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 04:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Klaus

Thanks for the warning about the W208/W209 differences. I guess that I could have posted the equivalent set for W208 (if they are in the WIS) but as the W209 info was in the archives, I took a chance on that.

I hope I haven't now confused the issue..
#10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Supporting Vendor

Thumbs up WIS

keyhole,

your ongoing support in many forums is greatly appreciated. I am careful about not posting any copyrighted material on BenzWorld, being a supporting vendor and a business. Having said that from my narrow perspective:

Everyone, there are some interesting pdf's related to the soft top sequence and the associated micro switches, etc., in the following thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...mplete-up.html

-Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.