BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2001 CLK230 KEY STUCK IN IGNITION

Hi all,
My first post here, hoping someone can help me.
My 2001 230CLK has the key stuck in the ignition & I cannot get it out.
When I turn the ignition off it doesn't feel like there is the last 'click' that you get that then releases the key & then allows you take it out & the steering lock then activates.

I've tried everything short of taking a hammer to it as it's pretty frustrating, if anyone knows how to resolve without me having to strip the dashboard out or take it to an MB dealer to fix I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 02:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: W208 CLK230K 2000 year, Past -W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230CLKFella View Post
Hi all,
My first post here, hoping someone can help me.
My 2001 230CLK has the key stuck in the ignition & I cannot get it out.
When I turn the ignition off it doesn't feel like there is the last 'click' that you get that then releases the key & then allows you take it out & the steering lock then activates.

I've tried everything short of taking a hammer to it as it's pretty frustrating, if anyone knows how to resolve without me having to strip the dashboard out or take it to an MB dealer to fix I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Nick
I could have a speedy fix for you on this, as I sometimes get this problem. I have found that the issue is down to the position of the gear shift when you put it into 'Park'. Try pushing the gear shift further forward in Park with your hand and see if the key releases.

If this fails it may be the switch itself just under the centre console which surrounds your gear shift. Carefully but firmly pull up the centre console up and you will see a little 'plunger' switch the engages when the gear shift is at its furthest travel forward in Park. My plunger was a little lose and I glued a small washer to reduce the gap.

Good luck

18x235x40 (8.5J) & 18x255x35 (9.5J) Brabus Monoblocks VI reps, Eibach Pro lowering kit, no#1 pad front & rear, Rolled arches,20mm rear spacers/15mm front, Flat emblem, Kompressor skirt badges, Parking sensors, Colour coded grill, Front flat lip, Front eccentric camber bolts, Denso Irridium plugs, K&N filter, Sony ICE adapted to steering wheel buttons, Blue LED modified dash & interior.
][/B]
#3 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 06:55 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: clk 320 convertable 200 'W' reg
have you checked the fuse?, i had a problem on mine a while ago so i "borrowed" a fuse from the fuse box to get me home, looking at the list is was for nothing vital but when i got home the key would not release until i replaced the fuse....its worth checking!
#4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 07:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: clk 320 convertable 200 'W' reg
just had another thought. I may be a little confused over this one but it was involved with my problem some where along the line!!! you may know that on the gear stick selector there is a little flap that you push a pen into that will allow the gear stick to move out of park if the brake peddle switch is faulty, it will, i believe also allow the key to be taken out.....that may help you if you get stuck somewhere....check the brake light switch as it does a hell of alot more that just the lights, its a cheap fix and a very common fault or it could be the switch that registers the stick is in the park position but i dont have any personnel experience of that....good luck.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
(Thread Starter)
Hi,
Thanks to you all for replying, it turns out it was the sensor switch that the shifter presses when you selct Park.
It had come unlocked from its holder and was not pushing in the 'plunger' sufficiently to disengage the ignition. After a bit of fiddling around & 20 mins of effort the job is sorted & I am back as I should be.

Thanks for your help guys, much apprciated.

Nick
#6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 02:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W208 CLK230K 2000 year, Past -W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230CLKFella View Post
Hi,
Thanks to you all for replying, it turns out it was the sensor switch that the shifter presses when you selct Park.
It had come unlocked from its holder and was not pushing in the 'plunger' sufficiently to disengage the ignition. After a bit of fiddling around & 20 mins of effort the job is sorted & I am back as I should be.

Thanks for your help guys, much apprciated.

Nick

GREAT so glad i could save you money....

18x235x40 (8.5J) & 18x255x35 (9.5J) Brabus Monoblocks VI reps, Eibach Pro lowering kit, no#1 pad front & rear, Rolled arches,20mm rear spacers/15mm front, Flat emblem, Kompressor skirt badges, Parking sensors, Colour coded grill, Front flat lip, Front eccentric camber bolts, Denso Irridium plugs, K&N filter, Sony ICE adapted to steering wheel buttons, Blue LED modified dash & interior.
][/B]
#7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 02:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: Hopes & Dreams
can you post a pic of this thing and how to access it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLK430member View Post
So I believe that my 2001 CLK 430 is made from the factory as a AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENSIN
They should make giant plastic butt cheeks with a giant ass hole and install this thing at the end of the E Coupe assembly line, so that each P.O.S. is 'deservingly' pooped out.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 03:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENSIN View Post
can you post a pic of this thing and how to access it?
I will see if I can take a photo, but uts really pretty traight forward let me explain more.
Pull the centre switch pack around the grear shift up and move it to the side. If you havnt done this before, you need to carefully pull from the top edge as its just clipped in.
With the switches out of the way, when you put the gear shift into the 'park' position you wil see that it engages a small plunger switch, it is this switch that releases the key from the ignition. Mine was loose and just needed to be screwed down.

hope this helps

][/B]
#9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 2002 CLK 430 & 1989 Camaro RS Fuel Injected
Thank the A1EK, I missed an important meeting because I was not about to let my baby stay in the parking lot with the key in it. I think an emergency plan would be to get a spare key when short of time!
I am not 100% sure but I think I got it out one time by pushing it in more as if the infa red was not strong enough or working well. Could that also be a problem?
I think it is the brake light switch, because I have gotten it out with out touching the gear shift but most likely hit the brake down a couple of times out of frustration. Also I have recently had to to a brake light switch cleaning to get it to work properly.

Stereotypes are never 100% false!

"Life is fraud when your fake, but it's so hard when your real."
"A lie has speed, but truth has endurance." -Edgar J. Mohn
"What up black cop, every brother ain't no brother." -Styles P
"Fat people on elevators are self explanatory and count as two for safety reasons."
"...and if you're going to die for a cause let be cause I was high, and they tried to take the Benz!"

G's Up...

Last edited by Swauve; 04-09-2010 at 09:55 AM.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 04:25 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1EK View Post
I will see if I can take a photo, but uts really pretty traight forward let me explain more.
Pull the centre switch pack around the grear shift up and move it to the side. If you havnt done this before, you need to carefully pull from the top edge as its just clipped in.
With the switches out of the way, when you put the gear shift into the 'park' position you wil see that it engages a small plunger switch, it is this switch that releases the key from the ignition. Mine was loose and just needed to be screwed down.

hope this helps
I have removed the bezel around the gear lever but cannot locate the switch. Can you provide further details or photograph please?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class