CLK 430 TRANSMISSION TROUBLE - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#41 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 99 E320 4Mwgn 00 Jetta TDI 5sp 94 Mitu Expo awd 5sp Yami seka2 MB CLK 430 01 tri Daytona 955i 4sale
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I also posted the same thread on peachparts, in order to trawl for more help. Some of the posts over there are more detailed as compared to some on benzworld. If I put a detailed post on Peachparts then Benzworld would get a less detailed summary, and vice-verca

As far as the problems: The Original was the 99 722.623 transmission with broken roller bearings and planetary gears. Although that made a hell of a lot of noise, it still shifted.

That was removed and replaced with a 2002 722.632 from an S430. I put that in and it did not shift at all. The only place I could find to read the codes, showed bad solenoids and wanted money for a new valve body, I was able to get some shifting after they cleared the codes though. They did not erase the adaptations of the engine control or the transmission control unit.

I bought carsoft, found how to do those tasks, and the transmission began to shift more consistantly, but it still banged into gear, and stick in certain gears. With the live logging I was able to see all the functions of the transmission, and surmised that I couldn't manually get 1st and 2nd gear. I figured it was an electrical problem, either in the valve body or the gear shifter.

As mentioned, to say the least the car was a mess when I got it. The gear indicators and the shroud that covered the stick was covered in crumbs and sticky..?..ness. Once I pulled the center console apart it became obvious that there were many a meal had whist driving, along with a sticky coating; also the cup holder wouldn't move because of well, you know..stickiness.

I was on the verge of pulling the valve body from my other car to test it in this one, along with pulling the stick module to do the same, when I drove by Radio Shuck, got the cleaner, did the service and voila....nice clean shifts. So I guess the problem was twofold, the broken tranny and the dirty shift module. I didn't notice the later because of the noise and shaking from driving with the former. That is my best guess for what happened.

As a footnote, the 722.632 IS a direct bolt in EXCEPT, there is no shift interlock. There in no where to attach the brake cable to the transmission. So rather than leave the cable in place and strapped up to the floor, I took the whole thing out. You can shift the car into drive without putting your foot on the brake. I figure the rewards of having a better than original spec transmission in the car is worth the risk.

Keyhole, specifically the metal damage is from the previous owner flogging the car and not changing the fluid for 90k miles.

my next car will run on batteries

Last edited by jjohnv; 06-04-2009 at 05:34 AM. Reason: answer keyhole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#42 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Many thanks for your detailed reply. It's always interesting to read a story where dogged determination and experiment have lead to a successful conclusion. And two simultaneous faults are often enough to break the strongest DIY resolve.

I think we should take our collective hats off to you, Sir!
#43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:06 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1997 E320, 2001 C320, 1993 300E, 2005 F-150
Post Sucess with Carsoft & transmission is running

Hey jjohnv,

Just wanted to update and thank you again.

Got the multiplexer and loaded the software on an old Dell laptop and was able to clear all the memory errors and perform the ME & EGS adaptation.
(I think every Benz owner that loves to work on their cars should own one of these. I was able to get the unit for $105 from dealextreme. Probably the best $100 I've spent.)

It took a couple tries but like you the car slowly started shifting. I've only driven the car 20 miles or so, tomorrow I'll put it through the whole gambit of shifting to make sure everything works.

Again appreciate your help!

Regards,

Rusty

Rusty Olaes
#44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 12:19 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 99 Clk 430 Lorinsor springs 19" Oz Opera/ 00 ML 320 19" Moda R6
where can you purchase the carsoft program the necessary cables to hook it up to a dell laptop. my transmission is having the same problem. when they opened up the pan to do a fluid change. 1 st time in 90k miles they saw roller bearings in the pan. the car shifts hard and makes a loud grinding noise.

do you think i need to replace the tranny and problem fixed.

so any model 722.6xx will work i presume?
#45 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 06:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1997 E320, 2001 C320, 1993 300E, 2005 F-150
Carsoft

I purchased mine through dealextreme it was 105.09 with free shipping. Make your your Dell has a RS232 connection, for some reason using a usb with a dongle doesn't work (maybe a comm issue)

You stated they found bearings in your pan, I would check your valve body assembly.
But you also stated that you here a loud grinding noise, that mght be a gear box issue.
Here's a link to tell you what 722.6xx is compatible with your year model.

MZF-Bayer Transmissions

Good Luck

Rusty Olaes

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class