CLK 430 TRANSMISSION TROUBLE - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 99 E320 4Mwgn 00 Jetta TDI 5sp 94 Mitu Expo awd 5sp Yami seka2 MB CLK 430 01 tri Daytona 955i 4sale
DO NOT GO TO AUTOBAHN IN STAMFORD CT. The guy there is a complete idiot. He would not hook up my car to his computer because he didn't do the job, and he didn't want to fry my transmission. There are so many idiots out there. Another guy said he had to look up all the codes to recalibrate the gears in the transmission, it would take five or six hours, why don't I leave it... Needless to say I didn't. I ended up at Nico's in North Stamford, and after dealing with no less then 6 idiots yesterday, I was very skeptical. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Nico, himself, didn't really know anything. It was his guy Richie who did it all. After a bit of a rough start, I saw him going for the odb2 port and I told him, "don't you want the 36 pin connector?"

His reply was, "Mind if I start working now...?" (imagine a heavy polish accent) Put me right in my place. He used a snapon modus. He went through every system and cleared every code, there were lots. The first ones to clear were the valve body solenoids, all of them. On the test drive, the transmission did start to shift, and for the first time, I felt like the clouds were beginning to clear. I say beginning to clear, because the gears would hold and not shift, then on the second test drive it wouldn't go into gear. So they offered me a new valve body install for $550, which I don't think was so bad...but I just put in a transmission so I think I can handle the valve body. In fact, I am just going to replace the selenoids and see if it works. I have picture too.
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #32 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 2002 clk430
dude if your car shifts and drives out the garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnv View Post
yea...I'm embarrassed to say you know those 2 bolt holes at the 2'oclock position that I said in post 26 didn't line up...and there was this grinding noise?/?? yea.. forget I said that. when I got the car up on jackstands THe starter was handing. turns out those 2 bolt holes are on the back of the starter and kinda hold that in place...oooppsss...my bad. I put the starter back in bolted it in place, and it starts and sounds smooth..silky smooth in fact. Now I just need to hook it up to a Star Machine and hopefully it will be like new.

YOU NEED AN (MB) on your chest!!!!!! this is not rims and tinted windows here lol this is something that actually matters.....

GREAT JOB SIR!!!!!! PLEASE POST PICS
nrphlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 AM   #33 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 99 E320 4Mwgn 00 Jetta TDI 5sp 94 Mitu Expo awd 5sp Yami seka2 MB CLK 430 01 tri Daytona 955i 4sale
thanks nphilly...looks like I need to do something with my valvebody like you did. Did you ever get your situation taken care of?? What happened, you left the sun roof open??
jjohnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:09 AM   #34 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 2002 clk430
yea i left my roof open!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnv View Post
thanks nphilly...looks like I need to do something with my valvebody like you did. Did you ever get your situation taken care of?? What happened, you left the sun roof open??
but i took the board out and cleaned the circuits with alcohol and distilled water!!!

she's ok now
nrphlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #35 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Ok.....The Good News....I got it working!!! After I hooked the car up to the carsoft 7.4. I started poking around in the menus to see what the various functions are. There is no helpful user manual so you are pretty much on your own. On one test drive I was able to monitor live data from the egs module. I was able to monitor all the functions like shifter position, gear requested and actual gear, kick down request, transmission mode, (S, W)...etc. There was no shifting needless to say. I pulled the valve body, cleaned it, put it back on and tested it again. Still no shifting. Finally I stumbled upon adaptation both for MSM, Engine management, and EGS...(gear shift module) I erased adaptation for both, and after a couple suspense filled moments....I got shift!... slowly but surely it started to shift. I reversed and put it in drive, and nothing. I turned the engine off and on, and it started shifting. It was shifting on the local roads, so I took it out on the highway for the first time and floored it, no wheel spin, but plenty fast..and I was very very nervous. I was stuck in gear. I got off the road and turned around and it shifted again. I could see through the car soft that it was going through all the gears now, from 1 to D, and back again. In D when I floored it, the kickdown request came on, and the transmission downshifted and resumed the climb through the gears. Everything was pretty good. There was still some rough gear changes, maybe late, and a couple of thuds into gear. I thought maybe the FLUID level was off, so I decided to go to my new friends NICO's in Stamford Connecticut to borrow the dipstick tool again. No smiling faces this time, Nico and his Buddy RIchie said, "Is Trouble Guy..We no want you Troubles....." Needless to say I was taken aback. Nico checked the level, and said "Is fine"..although I saw the fluid was a little below the 80c mark. If you want a happy ending stop reading here....but I'm sure most will enjoy this. As I said I was sort of shaken by the very unfriendly reception by Nico. I asked him about some of the rough shifts and he said, " Is your problem, you figure.." I guess they are mad at me because I didn't need to spend $550 in their shop. So I closed the hood, but in order to use the live data, the 38pin needed to be connected. I closed it too tight, and the hood started to pinch the cable, so I opened the hood again, and gently closed it. I drove off, and the hood flew open and got bent up...no too badly, but bad enough. I guess I couldn't get out of this completely unscratched. I was very upset for a bit, but I realized I had a very high-end working car to sell, (after proper repairs), and not a useless piece of junk that it was the night before.

I'm not out of the woods yet, but I can see a clearing....I am on my way to get an estimate from a bodyshop, another bunch of crooks, just to see what they will say, (I'm waiting to hear back from a trustworthy friend on a shop recommendation). Back to the transmission, I think the previous owner did in-fact spill something into the shifter. During my test drives with the carsoft running, I was using the shifter to select individual gears. Park obviously worked, as did reverse. I could see the selector switch from sport to winter, and when in winter at a stop the gear actual and requested both said 2. In short, as I know this is rather long, I was able to see and feel the gear shifting among all the gears except 1st and 2nd. I could not manually select those gears so it seems the selector switch need some attention. To be continued....pics will follow

Last edited by jjohnv; 06-01-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #36 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

The BEST $11.65 I EVER SPENT

I went to Radio Shack and bought a can of circuit cleaner. Took the module out of the stick shift, sprayed all the plugs, connectors, circuit board, and contacts, reassembled, and the car shifted flawlessly. I don't feel so bad about the hood now. In fact, because of that, I met a great auto body guy, who I can source my other vehicles to. One step back, two steps forward.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1997 E320, 2001 C320, 1993 300E, 2005 F-150
Carsoft 7.4 module?

Hey JJohnv,

Excellent writeup btw, did you buy the multiplexer ($120) or the diagnostic ($68) module to T/shoot your trans? I'm need your advise as to which one to buy.

I'm having a similar transmission problem with my 99 CLK320. (limp mode)

I've already replaced the electric kit, solenoids, valve body assembly and adapter, had the trans flushed and is filled to the correct capacity, but the car still won't come out of limp mode.

Reading your last entry about what you did with resetting the adaptation, I think I need to do the same. Sorry to here about your hood

Thanks in advance,

Rusty
mango1962
Old 06-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #38 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

I'm sorry I'm not in Arizona to help you, otherwise we'd be out right now re-adapting your transmission!!! Yes get the $120 one, well that's what I spent, but if it's the same thing only cheaper, do that!! You want to go to the special functions menu, go to adaptations, erase msm adaptations, then erase egs adaptations. THen go for a ride!! I would eat my shoe if it doesn't work. You'll understand once you see the software. You need an XP laptop with an old rs232 or serial port on it.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #39 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1997 E320, 2001 C320, 1993 300E, 2005 F-150
Post Carsoft 7.4 module?

COOL! Thanks I'll order the module tonight. I have an old dell laptop that has the rs232 port so it should work. I'll update you later when I get things going, Gawd I love this forum. It sure beats going to a stealership and getting..., well you know!

Cheers and thanks again.
mango1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:39 AM   #40 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
jjohnv

I've been following your story here with interest, but somehow with all your ups and downs I have somehow lost the plot....

Starting from when you dropped the transmission pan and found bits of metal could you please summarize the faults you found and subsequently rectified.

Do you reckon that the 'splashed' control module caused the metallic damage in the gearbox? Or were they separate problems?
keyhole is online now   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class