Instrument Cluster Pixel Fix - Page 9 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#81 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome write up... I fixed mine with this guide (I did a few things different though) but I ended up with 100% working lcd's. Not even 1 dead pixel. Thanks much man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#82 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:06 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2011
Dantus,

Thank you for the very detail procedure. I have the same issue with the gear/clock LCD on my 2002 E320. I took my mine apart and tried different shim method but the best one that worked for me was using the piece of tie wrap (hard plastics) between the pink foam and the flex cable. However, I did not want to take a chance to drill the white plastics part so I used a self tapping screw (.110 dia x .20 long) and jammed the hook against the pcb, a flat head screw would have been better. Luckily my flex solder joint is still OK and it works, hope it will last.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010753s.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	366496   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010751s.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	366497  
#83 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:37 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2011
Vehicle: CLK 320
Wow Great JOB. I did something like this when I had a 1999 Nissan Maxima for customization purposes. It was a tough job probably wont do anything like that again. I am having similar issues with my Cluster it is a pain to look at, but i can live for now. Also That steering wheel is Crazy. looks great.
#84 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 12:18 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1998 SLK, 1999 C230
Talking 1999 MB C230 Kompressor - Pixel repair

Glad my internet surfing led me to these forums. I read a lot of the posts regarding instrument pixel problems. I have been having the same problems with my 1999 C230 Kompressor. Thought I'd mention that my original instrument cluster was replaced under a factory recall. I was not having any problems at the time of the recall. However I started noticing the missing LCD segment/pixel about two years ago. First with some of the clock digits (which I didn't like, but could tolerate), then with some of the odometer digits (really annoying). Even though this is a 1999 model I've only got 37,000 miles on it. I'm the original owner. During a dealer visit in 2010, I asked the service writer about the problem. He didn't say anything about this being a common problem, and I understand why they wouldn't. He verbally told me that the problem could be repaired, but it would be expensive. I thought he estimated a repair would cost from $1,200 to $1,500, can't really remember. At the time I was having repair work performed on my 'other' MB, so I let the pixel issue go. But I didn't forget about it. Even though the missing pixels wasn't a saftey issue, it annoyed me every time I drove the car. When I found a link to the same problem in the forums, I read all the posts. I chose to order new mylar cables from Pixelfix.net. Cost $50, came registered mail in about a week from the Chech Republic. I also found some helpful YouTube videos related to cluster removal and disassembly. I wasn't completely successful making a cluster removal tool. But I also found some instructions for access via the tweeter & A/C vent to the left of the instrument cluster. I got the cluster removed w/o breaking or scratching anything. Disassembly went well, pictures from posts sure did help. I carefully removed the old cables (took digital pictures so I knew which cable went to each position), cleaned the contacts, cut and inserted 3 heavy weight paper shims beneath each silicone pad, attached the new cables, reassembled the entire cluster, noticed lint strands from my terry cloth work surface inside the cluster, disassembled again, cleared out lint, reassembled and reinstalled. Everything appears to be working. The whole repair took me about 2 hours since I was trying to be extra careful. I'm about to take the car out for a test run. I sure appreciate the prior posts. I probably would not have tackled this repair otherwise. While I was waiting for the cables to arrive, my LH exterior rear view mirror spring mount broke. Not sure how this happened, car wash camera showed it was broken before going thru the brushes. Bummer! The RH mirror broke about 2 years ago for the same reason. Two years ago, I bought the internal assembly from the dealer ($370) and the tech told me how to remove the cover. So I did my own repair. This time, the dealer part was $570 (LH is auto-dim mirror). I went back to the forums and internet searches and bought a new assembly from MercedesPartsCenter.com for $379 ($404 with shipping). Three days later, received mirror assembly. I had the new assembly on the car in 10 minutes. I've literally saved hundreds of dollars by doing these two repairs myself. Can't beat that. It softened the blow when I paid a garage to replace the A/C compressor for my 1998 SLK. I think I'm set for now. I'll check the forums first the next time something breaks. Jim OBryan Lexington KY
#85 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:32 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 2001 CLK 200 Kompressor w208
Send a message via Yahoo to masterdreus
Post TWO THUMBS UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieee View Post
hey great write up man but where did you get you steering wheel from i love it

yeah, great write up, i want your steering wheel, what specific type is that? and where can i buy one? is it easy to install? damn im jealous!

2001 CLK 200 Kompressor Avantgarde w208
Mods:
18" AMG rims
HID Foglamps 6k watts
6.5" Kenwood DDX5036M - Nav, Bluetooth, TV ready.
Changed the OEM Xenon D2R to 6k
Cleaned the Headlights
Mirror Tints
#86 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 12:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 2001 CLK55
Great writeup and pics. I did it this morning, but I just put a few pieces of masking tape to put pressure on the connector, as I didn't have a drill and screws handy. Worked like a charm. The hardest part was getting the dials back to the correct position.

2002 CLK 430 Black Opal
#87 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 09:42 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 2000 E320
Guys you can get all 3 ribbon cables for only $15 SHIPPED! at this website Mercedes Benz Pixel Repair Tools Dashboard Cluster I asked the MB dealer a couple of years ago how much to fix them they told me $1,500.

Last edited by ME320BENZ; 08-12-2012 at 09:57 PM.
#88 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:25 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 2002 CLK 430
I've done the mouse pad between the board and the connectors - it got better, temp is actually passable. But I'm in the mood to fix it properly. Anyone try these ribbon kits? Looks legit, would probably just buy it in a store, but I hate ordering shit like this from websites i've never heard of.
#89 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 03:26 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: M Class
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiflyer View Post
I've done the mouse pad between the board and the connectors - it got better, temp is actually passable. But I'm in the mood to fix it properly. Anyone try these ribbon kits? Looks legit, would probably just buy it in a store, but I hate ordering shit like this from websites i've never heard of.
Hi we have Non Bond Mercedes ribbons for the w208 and later model w210 with the big MID LCD at £20 including delivery, very easy to fit and you don't need any special soldering - bonding tools, you simple stick them down, the idea behind the non bond ribbons is that because there is no glue or bonding involved, this allows the PCB to expand and contract as it get hot and cold, and does not break the tracks and glue-bonding as happens with the original ribbons.

Thanks AKSpeedo
#90 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 08:34 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 2002 CLK 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedodash View Post
Hi we have Non Bond Mercedes ribbons for the w208 and later model w210 with the big MID LCD at £20 including delivery, very easy to fit and you don't need any special soldering - bonding tools, you simple stick them down, the idea behind the non bond ribbons is that because there is no glue or bonding involved, this allows the PCB to expand and contract as it get hot and cold, and does not break the tracks and glue-bonding as happens with the original ribbons.

Thanks AKSpeedo
If you send me one I'll write a nice review in the W208 forum

Kidding, I just ordered... $31 shipped, plus I think Amex will ding me .5% for the currency conversion... can't you Brits work on dollars?

Thanks, I'll let everyone know how it works - though I'll only be applying the clock and the temp. since my center display works fine.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class