ABS/ BAS ESP light keeps coming on - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1999 CLK430
Exclamation ABS/ BAS ESP light keeps coming on

I have a CLK 430 and my ABS/ BAS ESP light keeps coming on. I have read many forums regarding this topic and have just about everything I can imagine on my car. The light comes on only when I'm driving for about 15- 20mins into the highway and doesn't turn off until I turn my car off again. Once I turn my car back on the light goes away. I have replaced all my ABS Sensors, brake light switch, ABS Hydraulic Pump, Valve Body, input and out speed sensors above the valve body......and nothing. I don't know what else to do. Can anyone help me? I feel like blowing the car up. Its frustrating!
illcuz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: clk320 (2001)
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcuz01 View Post
I have a CLK 430 and my ABS/ BAS ESP light keeps coming on. I have read many forums regarding this topic and have just about everything I can imagine on my car. The light comes on only when I'm driving for about 15- 20mins into the highway and doesn't turn off until I turn my car off again. Once I turn my car back on the light goes away. I have replaced all my ABS Sensors, brake light switch, ABS Hydraulic Pump, Valve Body, input and out speed sensors above the valve body......and nothing. I don't know what else to do. Can anyone help me? I feel like blowing the car up. Its frustrating!
I had the same prob b4 and it came on like 3 minutes within driving and wont go away till i turned the car off.. All what i did, i changed my pads and prob was gone.
B4 that, took my car to my mechanic and ran the diagnostic on it and everything was fine and last resort, he asked me to change the pads and honestly it went away since that time.
Otherwise, i would not know ...
big_mike1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

does the car cut out or sputter? mine is doing it when i floor it, the light comes on and the car sputters. i limp over to the side of the road, shut it off and turn it on and away i go
01 CLK55 Silver
02 CLK55 Black
94 Porsche 911 3.6 Turbo Coupe
90 Porsche 911 3.6 Turbo Cabriolet
cali55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

No my car doesn't cut out and yes when I do pull over and turn off the car then turn it back on the lights go away. Thats doesn't correct the problem because later on they turn back on again.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
it could be a simple sensor replacement that costs $15 from autohaus.com

check out a couple prior threads on this topic. I have the same problem as well, and it keeps coming on and off....

Do this first, before spending major bucks
z0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: Don't own a Mercedes, probably because I fix them for a living. LOL.
May want to check it for codes again with an SDS (when the light comes on), don't cycle the key, and also check actual values of all the brake system including the brake booster diaphragm membrane travel sensor which monitors motion of the vacuum diaphragm inside the booster.

Also remember those stop lamp switches are cheap and no better than the old one you took off, so you may have a bad (new) one.

Do you have any after market equipment installed like a TV system or anything that may need to see a brake light signal?

Oversized wheels?

You may need to reset parameters.
benzfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2000 CLK 430 Cab
When you first turn your car on & the warning lights are off, do they come on as soon as you step on the brake? If yes, itks clearly your brake switch & an easy fix ($15-$20). Your brake lights will probably not function properly either if your brake switch is defective.
tbsi430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzfixer View Post
May want to check it for codes again with an SDS (when the light comes on), don't cycle the key, and also check actual values of all the brake system including the brake booster diaphragm membrane travel sensor which monitors motion of the vacuum diaphragm inside the booster.

Also remember those stop lamp switches are cheap and no better than the old one you took off, so you may have a bad (new) one.

Do you have any after market equipment installed like a TV system or anything that may need to see a brake light signal?

Oversized wheels?

You may need to reset parameters.
I do have oversized wheels (20in wheels). How do I reset parameters? You also mentioned checking values of all brake system including the brake booster diaphragm membrane travel sensor which monitors motion of the vacuum diaphragm inside the booster. How do you check that and what value is it suppose to be? I have spent over $1500 in trying to fix this problem and I have failed every single time. Please do help me
Old 01-15-2009, 04:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2006 CLS500
Cool

Find a tire size calculator on the internet. Bump them up against stock tire sizes to see how dramatic the diameter changed. Not sure of the exact figure, but if its dramatic it'll cause problems like that. (ie. car being a
'99: stock front is 225/ 45R-17; comparable size would be 225/ 30R-20.)
Play around with the calculator. If your way off then...

Also, I would follow the recomendation of ordering a new stoplamp switch.
Very possible 'Bad From Stock'.

How are the brake pads?

--John
2006 CLS500

Last edited by unlukky; 01-15-2009 at 04:55 AM.
unlukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlukky View Post
Find a tire size calculator on the internet. Bump them up against stock tire sizes to see how dramatic the diameter changed. Not sure of the exact figure, but if its dramatic it'll cause problems like that. (ie. car being a
'99: stock front is 225/ 45R-17; comparable size would be 225/ 30R-20.)
Play around with the calculator. If your way off then...

Also, I would follow the recomendation of ordering a new stoplamp switch.
Very possible 'Bad From Stock'.

How are the brake pads?
The brake pads are ok. I checked the tire size calculator and its 1.37% too slow. How do I bring it up to par? How do I program it to the new size?

Last edited by illcuz01; 01-15-2009 at 09:12 AM.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class