#1 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:09 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post weird rubbing sound coming front right front

I hear this weird rubbing sound coming from my right tire but it sounds like its coming from the inside of the tire it happens when i turn right go over bumps or starting to go from a light I just had both bearings replaced could that be it? help pls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 11:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 2002 CLK 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsebik View Post
I hear this weird rubbing sound coming from my right tire but it sounds like its coming from the inside of the tire it happens when i turn right go over bumps or starting to go from a light I just had both bearings replaced could that be it? help pls
I have no clue... but you might want to post more information, like any modifications to suspension/wheel size or just state that you're running 100% stock so that the people who do have a clue can help.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 01:08 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1999 CLK320
Send a message via AIM to sfclk
do you hear the noise when braking only? accelerating? decelerating?

Sold 12/2009
18x8x235x40@et31, 18x9x275x35@et35, Eibachs, bilstein sports, #1 pad front & rear, resonator delete, flat hood emblem
#4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 05:31 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2008
(Thread Starter)
no modifications all original just had the bearing done though and did not here anything for a good month or 2 sounds like a creaky door opening when I am idle from a light when i go over bumps when i turn left etc
#5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 12:15 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: CLK 200 Sport (W208)
Unhappy

I have the same problem on my front left wheel. When I turn left, in shortly I have the impression that my wheel translating and not turning. I'm interesting on the answers. (CLK 200 w208 80000km, no modifications apart the bearing of that wheel - changed).
#6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
johnsebik

Did you manage to figure out what was causing the noise? Please let me know....THANKS!
#7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 01:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
If you jack up the car, and spin the 'noisy' wheel - can you hear anything strange?
#8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 02:26 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Keyhole...

No, no noise from rotation while on a jack. I recently changed the front left wheel bearing. So i dont think it's that.

I know the noise is coming the tires/rim because, when the front left wheel was swapped to the right side, the noise went to the right as well. I just dont know what within the tire or rim could cause this noise. Wheel has been balanced and tire pressure checked.

My mechanic suggested the steel belt in the tire might have shifted. But i am skeptical with that answer....as i am very cautious when driving to avoid pot holes.

Stock car. 2008 c class (not 4matic)
Tires and rim - OEM

Thanks in advance!
#9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2000 CLK430 2010 S550 4matic
I seriously doubt its the tires. Techs always says this because they hate diag noises and things that aren't visably broken. If it was the tires belt they can see it when they spin balance the tire and the machine would report it.

Even though you jacked the car up the bearings are tapered - so you really need a load to determine if its dry or defective. It is rhythmic not a clunking sound - so its more than likely not the ball joints or steering linkage but you never know.

When the bearings were installed do you know if the nut was tightened really tight or finger tight - well sortof. For the CLK430 the front isn't super tight there is a slight amount of play on the tire at the 12/6 position. Read this in one of the tech manuals - but someone who has access to the WIS might shed some light here. This would do this as the bearing is probably binding. The bearing is going to be shot at this point as its going to put flat spots on the rollers in the bearing itself. If its backed off the spots are still going to be there and it will make another sound. Two years ago when my car was at a very good tire store I felt the wheels because I was having some sort of wobble at the front end. There was play. The techs there looked up the tech info and said there should be play. Dealership confirmed this - one of my wheels was slightly bent. Fixed that and the car has been perfect since.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 09:00 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2000 CLK 430 Cab
"sounds like a creaky door opening when I am idle from a light when i go over bumps when i turn left etc "

Check your control arm bushings...I had a similar issue. Changed the bushings, noise disappeared.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class