tire wear issue ..... is there a solution??? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: CLK 430 Cab 2001
tire wear issue ..... is there a solution???

I have owned a clk 430 conv for over 3 years now & I have had to purchase new rubber for the rear tires every 5 to 8k. The car is completely stock & I drive very conservatively. The front tire seem to get about 20K+ on them. After reading some of the threads on this issue it seems that most people on average are getting about 20K on all of the tires, this blew me away because the guys at the service shop told me that 5k is all that you can expect on a ZR rated tire.

What do i need to do to make the rear tires last longer???? I have notice some people have mentioned in some postings that getting an alignment would fix it. But aren't the tires aligned anyway when you get the new ones put on???

If anyone can give me some advice I would really appreciate it, because this issue is the one & only thing i hate about my car.

Thanks
compassq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430 Coupe
Z rated tires are usually softer rubber. What brand/model of tires are you buying? You might try getting "performance all season" tires with a lower speed rating instead. You say you "drive very conservatively" so you probably don't need Z rated rubber anyway.

I've had good luck with Kumho ESTCA, they are very cheap and seem to last 15-18k and I don't drive conservatively at all.
zeronine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

I currently have Kumho ESTCA with 6500 miles and they are almost ready to be changed. Last time I got these replaced, I asked for the highest tread rating tire, which currently is the Kumho. You said that you are getting about 15 to 18k, I think that is awesome. I wish I could get that kind of mileage out of my tires. I don't have fancy rims either, just the stock amg rims that came with the car.

I am really wondering if there is something wrong with the car
Old 04-21-2008, 04:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2000 CLK430 Coupe Silver/Gray
Send a message via AIM to chem1441 Send a message via Yahoo to chem1441
I have Kumho Ecsta ASX (all season high performance). Treadwear rating is 420. The rears have about 25,000 miles on them, and they are about ready for replacement....not down to the wear strips yet, but probably another 2000 miles- 3,000 miles and Ill need to replace them. Needless to say, Ill be replacing them with the exact same tire. They are warrantied up to 30,000 miles for treadwear!!

I would take the car to the dealer and get a 4-wheel alignment... Id use the dealer because they are usually not that much more than indy shops/ tire chains, and they get the alignment right the FIRST time. Ive learned the hard way in the past....

Last edited by chem1441; 04-21-2008 at 05:47 AM.
chem1441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks chem1441, I will go to the dealership and get it done. I have a couple of questions for you. You said that you learned the hard way....did you have a similar experience as me? Also, how can you tell if your tires are down to the weather strips? What do they look like?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1999 CLK320
Send a message via AIM to sfclk
we usually don't take our cars to a dealer for wheel alignments, but this car probably will because to my knowledge, the caster can be adjusted also.
sfclk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
linh

Quote:
Originally Posted by compassq View Post
I have owned a clk 430 conv for over 3 years now & I have had to purchase new rubber for the rear tires every 5 to 8k. The car is completely stock & I drive very conservatively. The front tire seem to get about 20K+ on them. After reading some of the threads on this issue it seems that most people on average are getting about 20K on all of the tires, this blew me away because the guys at the service shop told me that 5k is all that you can expect on a ZR rated tire.

What do i need to do to make the rear tires last longer???? I have notice some people have mentioned in some postings that getting an alignment would fix it. But aren't the tires aligned anyway when you get the new ones put on???

If anyone can give me some advice I would really appreciate it, because this issue is the one & only thing i hate about my car.

Thanks

How does your tirew wear? The middle, outer side, inner side...etc?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2000 CLK430 Coupe Silver/Gray
Send a message via AIM to chem1441 Send a message via Yahoo to chem1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by compassq View Post
Thanks chem1441, I will go to the dealership and get it done. I have a couple of questions for you. You said that you learned the hard way....did you have a similar experience as me? Also, how can you tell if your tires are down to the weather strips? What do they look like?
I got an alignment done at a regional tire chain (they specifically said they had the alignment machine to do Mercedes/ BMW's etc.) When I got the car back, there were terrible noises coming from the tires, like scrubbing noises. I was scared to take it back to the same shop (even though I called them and complained. they werent going to give me a refund). I took the car to the dealer, who did the proper alignment, and said whatever alignment that was done on the car at the tire chain was completely out of spec. After the dealer, everything track straight and true, no pulling or anything. And my tires are wearing perfectly evenly. Like I said 25,000+ miles on the Kumho Ecsta's ASX, and they handle great and are cheap as hell!! All modern tires have tire wear strips that run the width of the tire, just check the tread, and you should see a little "bar", once that bar is even with the top of the tread, its time to replace...
chem1441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
2000 CLK 430

Chem1441 - I am running Kumho Ecsta SPT with around 10,000 miles and I am getting a lot of road noise (very loud hum) at 70-80 mph. Do you experience this or was this what you were getting pre-alignment?
fuddsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linh View Post
How does your tirew wear? The middle, outer side, inner side...etc?
This is part of the mystery... They wear evenly all the way across, which to my understanding is inconsistent with a wheel alignment issue. Do you have any ideas of what my problem could be?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class