BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: CLK55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Here it is...DIY spring pad swap

After doing plenty of searches and reading Linh's DIY spring pad swap, I thought it sounded a little complicated to just change spring pads (no offense Linh). So I experimented with various tools and techniques and this is what I came up with.

Let's start with the materials you will need:

First, visit your local autoparts store and rent a spring compressor. There are two types of spring compressors you may find but it is important to rent the one shown in the picture. It is important to also note that most autoparts stores will rent the spring compressor and refund your money when you return it. Next, visit your local hardware store (ie: Home Depot, Lowe's, etc) and find the parts shown in the picture. These parts can be found in the plumbing aisle.

Ok, now for the good part. Detach the clamps from the spring compressor and find the clamp that is threaded.

Remove the protective plastic piece from the swing arm and feed the threaded clamp through the swing arm hole and into the middle of the spring.

Here comes the tricky part. Feed one end of the clamp through the spring and twist it into you get the other end of the clamp through the other side.

Once you get both sides through the spring, rotate the hooks downward until both hooks are positioned on the spring itself.

Now take the spring compressor rod, fed through the parts you pick up from the plumbing aisle, feed it through the hole in the swing arm, and screw it into the clamp.

Start tightening the rod into the clamp and the spring will lower so you can remove and replace the spring pad.

Alright, your half way there. When you're done changing the spring pad, loosen the rod so the spring returns back to its original position. Removing the clamp will also be tricky but be patient. You'll have to feed both sides of the clamp through the spring again and rotate it until the hooks are facing up. Pull one clamp to the top of the spring until you can get the entire clamp in the middle of the spring and let it drop down through the hole in the swing arm. Doing this the first time may take about a half hour but once you get the hang of rotating the clamp to get it in and out, the other wheels will be quick (keep in mind that the front spring pad swap may take a little longer to rotate the clamp because the inside diameter of the spring is not as large as the rear). If you run into any problems, feel free to PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	83469   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	83470   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	83471   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	83472   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	83473  

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	83474  

Last edited by wmr120; 04-30-2006 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Changing pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 08:08 PM
linh

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Any body can do it with tools. Remember, 4-5 years ago when i did it, no auto parts have spring compressor for Mercedes and there's no such thing as "rent a tools" :>). Mercedes was the only one that you can buy the spring compressor and it cost around $800-$1000 !!

#3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 09:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Can we change springs with this method
#4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 10:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
WMR120.

can you remove the springs with this instruction?
#5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 12:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 02' CLK 430
Marvelous! Great job. Can you tell me what size and length galvanized piping you used....1/2" or 3/4"....can't really tell from the pic. Was is it a 6" length.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 06:19 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Additional pic and answers

meyou2005:

You probably could remove the spring using this method but I wouldn't recommend it. If you look at the pics, you can theoretically lower the spring enough to pull it to the side but it will have so much tension on the spring compressor that you may bend the bottom of the swing arm just to get it out. Putting a new one in however may be a little easier because you could compress the spring first, then feed the rod through the swing arm hole from the top.

CLKXTSY:

Actually, you could use any size piping as long as the compressor rod will fit through it but stop at the end where you would tighten/ loosen the rod. It is important to also note that you will need to find a "cap" as shown in the first pic to screw onto the top of the pipe. Without this, the pipe will just feed into the middle of the spring and have no functionality. The pipe contraption is there because without it, the spring compressor rod will be too long and will not compress the spring low enough to get the spring pad out.

Shown below is a pic with the spring "compressed" using my DIY method.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	83463  
Attached Images

Last edited by wmr120; 04-30-2006 at 06:39 AM. Reason: forgot pic
#7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 06:54 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Tools for the job

Linh:

I wasn't disrespecting your mechanical skills nor was I saying your write up was worthless. All I was saying is that this DIY worked a little faster than your method. Also in terms of "tools" for the job, this is not a Mercedes spring compressor and can be found at just about ANY autoparts store. Oh and by the way, these spring compressors have been around for quite some time which means when you did your write up, they were probably around then too. In using tools as you like to have stated, could I not argue that you too used tools to complete your job? Should I say that not everyone should be as resourceful as you and possibly not use a wrench or jack because it is a tool to complete the job? You're right, anyone can do this job with tools, just like all of us could be master mechanics with the right tools and knowledge. That's what I'm trying to do here. Give everyone the knowledge and direct them as to where to find the proper tools.

Listen, don't frag me for discovering a better way of doing something because you feel it undermines your skills. Instead, appreciate the fact that I'm sharing this information. If you feel that I am doing this then by all means, create yet another, innovative way of doing this spring pad DIY. Just like every great invention or method, there is always room for improvement. If there wasn't, we would be driving around in Mecedes horse and buggies and not the cars we drive today.

Last edited by wmr120; 04-30-2006 at 10:23 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 07:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Thumbs up

added to favorite's!

thank you im going to need this info soon!!!
#9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 07:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Sorry TK

TK,

Good to here from you. I haven't been around for a while due to work and misc engagements. Also with the shop, it feel through and my wife finally gave birth to our new son, Andrew. That's why I haven't been on the forums for a while. With the shop, the guy tried pulling a fast one and to make a long story short, I'm now in the process of suing him to get my money back. It's pretty messy but I'm confident it will all work out.

As for mods, I've kind of put things on hold. I decided not to go with the Carlsson kit but instead am researching a Company in Germany that makes the new AMG front bumper for our CLK's. I've also purchased a 2004 oem CLK AMG bumper and having another shop see if they can cut my bumper and weld this one on. We'll see how this works out.

With a newborn, I've decided against a supercharger but instead, I've decided to go with Ev*sp*rt pulleys, and a Powerchip. The other mod I am doing is I purchased a quad AMG exhaust from an SL55 and am getting a shop to retrofit it to my car. The last thing I may do is have the body shop add custom fender flares similar to the M3 as well as the side grills but mod them a little bit.

Here's a shot of my ride plus my brother and a friend (by the way, saw pics of the Carlsson on your car and it's looking great):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3rides.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	83481  

Last edited by wmr120; 04-30-2006 at 07:32 AM.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 07:16 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2000 CLK430 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmr120
Lihn:

I wasn't disrespecting your mechanical skills nor was I saying your write up was worthless. All I was saying is that this DIY worked a little faster than your method. Also in terms of "tools" for the job, this is not a Mercedes spring compressor and can be found at just about ANY autoparts store. Oh and by the way, these spring compressors have been around for quite some time which means when you did your write up, they were probably around then too. In using tools as you like to have state, could I not argue that you too used tools to complete your job? Should I say that not everyone should be as resourceful as you and possibly not use a wrench or jack because it is a tool to complete the job? Your right, anyone can do this job with tools, just like all of us could be master mechanics with the right tools and knowledge. That's what I'm trying to do here. Give everyone the knowledge and direct them as to where to find the proper tools.

Listen, don't frag me for discovering a better way of doing something because you feel it undermines your skills. Instead, appreciate the fact that I'm sharing this information. If you feel that I am doing this then by all means, create yet another, innovative way of doing this spring pad DIY. Just like every great invention or method, there is always room for improvement. If there wasn't, we would be driving around in Mecedes horse and buggies and not the cars we drive today.
No one knows more than Linh though.

Thanks for the CLEAR instructions WMR120.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class