Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Parking brake cable access hatch?

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  rocketman4321 
#1 ·
Is there an access hatch for the parking brake cables and spring in the W204? It's definitely not in middle of the rear seat like the W203, and many pictures and videos show. Ours is 4Matic--is it on the hump in the rear floor?

I understand that the adjustment must first be done at the wheels. However, I'm suspicious that either the spring at the mid-joint has gone or the cables are rusted up there.

Thanks!

#2 ·
To answer my own question, had a look today and there's no hatch. Setup is different than the W203 pictures. The cables meet on the rear crossmember above the differential. The front cable is attached to the fitting holding the left rear cable, and it pulls directly on the fitting at the end of the right rear cable. In other words when the front cable pulls it pulls itself and the left cable toward the right, and the right toward itself and the left. There's no rocker or return spring like on the W203 (and the W163 I had).

So what provides the return force to raise the pedal? Is it just the brake springs on the rear wheels? Or does the pedal spring back all by itself, relaxing the front cable?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.