Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hold Feature Malfunction

39K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  randomman 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I ride in the Middle Eastern version of a 2012 C200 and all was good until recently when the HOLD function stops working sometimes. I didn't get a pattern of it yet but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes restarting the engine works and sometime not. Not so sure what's going on.

Did anyone have a similar issue? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

#2 ·
the hold feature will disengage when you barely touch the brake pedal or the gas pedal. it takes very little pressure for it to disengage. I have 2 US Mb cars with this feature and I have had no issues out of either.

I guess it could be something wrong with the car, but I have not seen or had a complaint about this issue.

#3 ·
Yeah, I know how it works, I've been using it for more than three years now. Which gets me more worried about it.

I notice a difference in how hard the brake pedal gets when the HOLD doesn't work, so I'm thinking it could be a problem in the adaptive braking system. The good news is that the car stopped doing it no but I'm still super curious and super worried.

#8 ·
The Hold feature stopped working totally after 3 years of use. I brought my C200 to the workshop but they haven't been able to detect the fault code. Although not a critical function, I really want it back and still trying to find out what's the problem and who can help.

#10 ·
I had the same problem on my 2012 C350. The brake hold stopped functioning at sporadic times until it stopped altogether. This took place over the course of a month. My local dealer diagnosed the problem as a low battery. I never thought to check the battery, because all the electricals were fine. But the dealer switched out the battery, and sure enough, the hold feature works fine. It is weird that my old battery was strong enough to crank the engine cold but not engage the brake hold. Anyway, I would check the battery before doing any serious work or diagnosis.

#13 ·
Me too, I HAD all the HOLD faults referred to here on my MB C series SW manual.
FIXED...WOT a pleasure to have the HOLD FUNCTION back.
Simply disconnect BOTH batteries, the main battery and the little one neatly packed away next to the spare wheel. Unpack by removing the 3 plastic rivets holding the cover on, by simply prising out the centre pins and prise out the rivets. This stealth battery is not referred to in the manual.
Disconnect this battery.
This battery (I think) powers the electronics when the ECO stop start function operates. Just to make sure I switched the ignition on and off, (stealth capacitors perhaps).
The sound system (base and treble) goes back to standard.
It seems that other functions now work to...
One good thing about “Windows” Control-Alt-Delete reboot always worked.
Ps. Pump up the spare wheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.