Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2013 Purchase

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Bot 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, hopefully this is the most appropriate area to post. Anyways, I am looking to purchase a 2013 C300 ( I live in Ontario, Canada). Having never bought a luxury car before, certainly not one with a badge as well respected as Mercedes, just wondering if anyone has any bargaining/negotiating advice for me. I feel like the dealer is less likely to give any sort of deal but not sure if thats the case. Any advice would be appreciated!

#2 ·
First of all, do your research. Make a list of "need" options and "want". The more useless options you throw in, the higher the price and the harder to deal. Test drive as many as you can with the different options that you want or need and see how comfortable you feel with the car/options.

Get quotes. As many as you can from as many MB dealers within driving distance. Surprisingly, Benz is pretty easy to make deals with. A lot easier than BMW.

Set your price limit. Think of your how much your willing to spend. Reasonably of course. Don't expect them to sell you a 42k msrp for 35k. Reasonable would be a 42k msrp for 39k...at least for me that was more than reasonable.

And don't fall for their BS. Dealers are there to steal your money and they will go to any extent to do so. Take your time and deal at your pace. If it seems like the dealer is getting pushy, say you'll be back.

Knowledge is power, so know everything about the car, the brand and warranties before you walk in.

#3 ·
Another thing that you might consider is a 2012 loaner car. I bought a 2011 loaner back in the early spring (April) that had 7K miles, a 100K CPO warranty, the premium 1 package. This was a great deal as it was 'almost' new and was $$$ off the sticker price of a new one. Just a thought.

#6 ·
I believe I had more leverage by buying at the end of a model year, which is not your case.

I also emailed pretty much every dealership within 300 miles with a very specific list of options and colors requesting an OTD (out the door) price quote. After a week or two of that, I walked into the local dealership with my stack of email responses, and while they did not match the lowest quote, they came close enough to save me driving 300 miles to buy a new car.

#7 ·
Buying at end of model and end of month help. Know what your trade in is worth and what dealers will give u for it vs what you owe on it. Here in the usa we can work first few years service into the total for a discounted price. I was able to get fully loaded 12 c300 msrp 49500 for 44500 prem nav lighting pack amg wheels keyless go black sprt grill spoiler and they paid all taxs title and license.

#8 · (Edited)
Not sure where you live, but if there are a few different dealers in your vicinity, this here sounds like an intriguing method:

Also, I would never trade in an old car at the dealer. Instead, I would try to sell it myself and without time pressure, expecting that this would almost certainly yield a much better price.

#11 ·
Just brought mine home tonight, so excited. The 2013 is impressive - go for it.

While I don't have the Canadian numbers, a local dealer in Massachusetts was able to knock around 10% off MSRP for a lease. That's impressive considering the model just came out. They might be able to go lower on the lease because there is a bank fee of 1000$ already baked into their profit - I don't know. Also, since you pay more in CA, you might want to look at real purchase data if you can access it. I would bet that some of that 'more' in Canada would be tariff/tax that is specific to CA, so you might back that out of the MSRP before you apply the percentage. I'll never visit another smug BMW nest again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.