Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W204 Side Marker LEDs

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  glj12 
#1 ·
If I have a 2008 C300, how do I know what LEDs to buy for the side markers? Wedge or what? I do not really understand how all of this works or what to look for. On top of that, what would I buy (if different) for the eyelids?

Many thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Sidemarkers, eyebrows, rear plates all use 194 wedge LEDs.

Interior footwell, front map lights, front dome lights, vanity mirror lights, glove box, trunk, rear map lights also use 194 wedge LEDs with a single 41mm festoon for the rear dome.

Front signals use 3457 Super Wedge

Rear signals use 7507 Bayonet

Reverse lights use 1156 Bayonet

Rear brake lights use 1156 Bayonet

Rear sidemarker uses 194 wedge

Low beam and high beams are H7 while fogs are H7 if you have sport model, H11 if you have luxury.

Hope that helps

#4 ·
One other question -- to put in low and high beam LEDs, do they each require their own ballast? As in, would I need 4 ballasts? What is the norm here, as I only see people in DIYs explaining (I believe) low beam installs. Clarification would be great, thanks!

#5 ·
For low and high beams, don't put LEDs. You want HIDs or just simply whiter halogen bulbs. The reflector and projector isn't designed to properly project LED type lighting and you'd end up with light scatter with no throw distance. If you just do whiter halogen bulb replacements, no need for ballasts, but if you want HIDs, you'll need a kit which includes the ballasts. Not only that, but you'll need error cancellers as well (although some kits have error cancellers built into the ballast)

#6 ·
I didn't realize how silly I was asking about LEDs in the low/high beams. My faux pas. I guess what I am asking though (and maybe I didn't see it in your answer) was the following: if there are 4 bulbs between the low and high beams, would there therefore be 4 ballasts?

Do people generally hook up 2 ballasts for the two low beams only, and then use whiter halogen bulbs for the high beams, or vice versa?

I appreciate all of this clarification!

#7 ·
yes, you need one ballast per bulb. Generally, most people only upgrade their low beams to HIDs. You can keep your stock high beams or upgrade to whiter halogen bulbs. Two primary reasons...1: High beams aren't used that often so cost/benefit needs to be taken into account, 2: Due to warming up cycle of HIDs, if you were to put HIDs in the high beams, you lose the "quick flash" function with your high beams if you want to signal the person ahead of you.

Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.