Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Shopping around for a CPO 2010 C300. Any issues with the 2010 models?

13K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Bio Analyst 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I'll be trading in my 2005 C230 sports saloon I've had for 5 years, and would like to get a CPO 2010 C300. My love my 2005 C230, but my unfortunate reliability issues have left me to decide to trade it in now. My C230 was a CPO, and I thankfully bought 2 years of extended warranty, in addition to the 1 year included StartMark CPO warranty, and 1 year remaining original warranty.

As the title of my thread suggests, I'm interested in a CPO 2010 C300 that is 35,000 miles or under, with P1 and Multi-Media packages, and preferably, AMG wheels.

I've seen around $29,000 -> $32,000 for this config for various milages. As I'm putting together my negotiating tactics, realistically, how much, even I negotiate really well, can I expect to bump off a 2010 C class around this price range? Could I possibly get $2-$3,000 off with the right negotiations, or are margins to slim for dealers on 2010 C300s that they wouldn't go that low?

Also, reliability.....Anything to watch out for on the 2010 C300? I'd rather have less surprises this time around. I plan to add 1 additional year of extended warranty (vs. the 2 I purchased for my C230) to the 1 year StarMark, as I know the W204 is built a lot better than the W203. This will be my primary automobile for 5-6 years since I plan to do a Ph.D next year.

Also, I financed my C230 through Mercedes Benz Financial. They keep sending me incentives for purchasing a new C class, but I'm wondering, does anyone know if they have incentives or money off the purchase a a CPO? I would be financing through them again, and the only special I see right now is 1.99 APR for up to 66 months through the end of September 2012. BTW, if I got a nice low APR like 1.99, what are the chances of them offering this after Oct 1st? I'm not sure if I'll purchase before the end of this month, as I'm still looking at selections of 2010 C300s (New England area).

See less See more
#2 ·
In 2 1/2 years, my Eurospec C300 Sport has had NO issues, except for the transmission TCU software upgrade done during a regular A service, at no charge. Cars built for the US and Canada have had some issues, mainly main engine bearing clatter on startup, but as of yet no word if this is a fatal issue or not.

Financing through Mercedes - Since the C300 was a new purchase, Daimler Financial offered me 0% financing 24 months with 20% down (of course added to this was insurance and a LoJack install, also financed at 0%). 1.99 APR sounds fine, remembering that the FED will probably increase the prime rate in 2013. However to save $, one should see if a 36 or 48 term can be afforded, the remaining capital on the vehicle reduces quickly and the savings in interest are more substantial.

#3 ·
I have a 2009 C300 with 44,000 miles. Just got it back from the dealer, they had to remove the engine and replace the main bearings due to the clatter sound mentioned in a post above. I have had a few other issues with this car and would definetly not purchase another one. The quality is just not what it should be. The fit and finish is not great either. Two of the vents have broken and instrument cluster looks like it is crooked. I am a quality control manager so maybe it's just that I notice things that others would not. I also have a Honda Civic that is probably a better quality vehicle (although it does not drive or handle nearly as well as the C-300). The C300 is a great looking car though....

#4 ·
So sorry you are in the US, the Eurospec vehicles have a much different build and even different options, materials, and design especially seats. Attestng to this, last week while in the US I drove a brand new 2013 CLS550 with 20 MILES on the odometer. Although the acceleration is impressive, my adult sons riding in the back seat complained about poorly stitched leather and trim on the rear armrest coming unglued.

This after driving an Audi A7 and the BMW M5 and M6 Gran Coupe, with no quality complaints at least for the short test drive periods.

As for the Civic, they are reliable because they are as simple as a hamster treadmill, BUT neither the fabrication quality, the build quality, not the engineering can even hold a candle to the Mercedes (not to my BMWs or my Chrysler, and dont even ask about my FORD which is superior in "quality" in almost every way to all the others just mentioned). Spoken by one who has purchased both a new Civic and a new Accord in the last 30 months, the girls like them, but the Civic is long gone, as it couldnt even make it up the driveway to one of our houses.

The main bearing issue has never occured with the Eurospec W204s, my C300 is so quiet on startup, because the tach delays in its display, I have the habit of opening the window just to make sure it actually fired up. Stopping at traffic lights or toll booths is similar to the Start-Stop experience, of course the 2010 doesnt have that... Quiet.
( q u i e t )

So go for the 2010 C300. Even the US build, be warned the AMG trim package comes with a stiff shock setup. ONLY if it is dead quiet on startup and ONLY if the super-extended CPO warranty is thrown in free as part of the deal.

#6 ·
Just curious William; how did they change the specs on the Canadian cars built in Germany, with presumably the same major components as the european ones? My 2010 is also so quiet on startup that I also have to open the window to check that it has started. As for fit and finish, I cannot find fault and believe me I look.:)

#7 ·
Somewhere on the VIN there is a code for the city and assembly line of manufacture. I will have to look at mine and figure it out again.

In any case there are marked differences just in the trim and bodywork between the Eurospec and the US/Canada assembly line. Like no side markers for instance. The Euro lighting standard is different so the rotary light switch has a different configuration. The SEATS and their materials a just SO different. All of the W204's arriving in Spain and Mexico had the LED taillights in 2009 and 2010, those didnt arrive in the US or Canada until 2011, they werent even an option. The base Sport model for Spain and Mexico came with memory electric seats for both driver and passenger, in the US and Canada only the driver had memory and on the door, the passenger was on the side at the floor. The list goes on and on.

On the other hand no fold down rear seats for Mexico. Optional in the US.

And the tires, mine came with the Michelin Primacy HP on AMG staggered rims, now THATs an expensive tire, the most expensive one that fits the staggered rims. The Contis or the standard Michelins cost half as much.

I will try and check the manufacturing plant codes and post them. Saludos from Acapulco.

#8 ·
Oh YES and the cupholders, those huge ugly holes in your console. None in the Eurospec. Actually they are hidden under a nice roll-away sliding door and the holes are half the diameter of the huge Gulper 397 ounce cisterns in the US and Canada W204s. The roll-away stash is good to keep all your toll and gas fare available but out of sight.

#9 ·
Muchos gracias William. There are also differences between Canadian and US cars. I believe that the US cars are imported from South Africa, mine came from Germany. I also got folding rear seats, electric folding outside mirrors, and both front seats are memory with controls on the door, staggered wheels (and the ugly cup holders), and folding rear seat backs.

I wish they had not changed my rear indicators to red, I prefer amber.

I am more concerned with the motor. I know there are differences in emission controls between Europe and US, but so far there have not been any noises with mine.

I did drive the C class in Germany before buying mine; the ride, fit and finish were the same, but I got better shaped and more comfortable seats (3 panels for the seat, instead of 2). Saludos desde Canada.

#10 ·
In any case I will try and find the VIN codes for the plant of manufacture. Many of the deluxe models are made in Mexico, actually:
CLS, GL, M. ML, SL, SLK, S, E, and projected is the next version of the C for 2014.
Many complete chassis subassemblies are completely manufactured and then shipped to the Tuscaloosa AL plant including the M and GL class.

The C class was made for a while, but not the W204 as far as I know.

South Africa make a large number of vehicles for the African and Asian subcontinent market. Didnt know they were exported from SA to the US though.

#11 · (Edited)
Some W204 country and plant codes based on the 11th digit of the VIN number:
A-E is Sindelfingen Germany
F-H is Bremen Germany
R is South Africa
?? is Beijing

Assuming that each code refers to an individual production line, Sindelfingen should have 5 separate lines, Bremen 3, and SA 1. I understand that one line is dedicated to certain options, for instance W204`s with the large screen and HK system, because of the fiber optic, is done on a different line than those with the stock Audio 20 headunit and 5 inch screen.

#14 · (Edited)
Many thanks for the info William. So, I ended up, just 2 days ago, getting a great deal on my new black-on-black CPO 2010 C300 4matic with the AMG setup, P2, Multi-Media Navigation, Pano roof, rear shade (can't remember if this is part of P2 or separate), bi-xenon (again, part of P2), etc..

The suspension setup with the AMG package is indeed stiffer than the other C300's I've driven in the past, but I like that (especially coming from a C230 Kompressor saloon). How does this AMG setup compare to that of the C63? Just curious.

Oh, and pic below. BTW, the twin spoke staggered AMG wheels are 18 inches, but what's the with of the wheels, both front and back? Tire wise, I have Pirelli 18x235x40's in the front and 18x255x35's in the rear.

Attachments

#15 ·
Wow. Great and congrats. Hope you got the HK system. Many really prefer the 2010 styling to the 2011, (as I sure do) especially with the AMG package. However no real comparison with the C63 ride, Are your seat bolsters really fat and with the ARTICO synthetic leather?

I ran nto a list of everything the AMG package includes, let me find it and I will do a post. Again glad you got a great W204.

#18 ·
Thanks. My seat bolsters are fat, but I'm not sure if they are really fat. Yep, I have the HK system. I thought that comes by default with the MultiMedia Package, which I have...

One thing that I have to criticize is the fact that I can only transfer my iPhone contacts one of two ways seemingly:

1. Purchase a $300 Media Interface Plus to plug into my existing UCI port...
2. Purchase a PCMCIA->SD card or some-other type of memory card adapter, and export my contacts to the memory card in .vcard format.

This really should have been a simple software upgrade to W204 2008-2011 COMMAND to allow contact transfers over BlueTooth (can't remember what bluetooth profile this involves). 2012 and 2013 W204 COMMAND supports this.

Also, I'm not fond of the steering wheel in the 2008-2011 W204 (minus the C63). The sports steering wheel became good starting MY 2012. I put a soft, sport-leather feeling steering wheel cover on my wheel, and it does make it somewhat better.

#17 ·
Wikipedia had a list of the W204 2012 C coupe AMG package additions, some of these are NOT in the 2010 Sport with AMG package, others may actually be on the 2010 but absent in the 2012 Coupe:

C-Class Coupé Sport, AMG Plus Sports package (2012-)
Available in C 250 Sport and C 250 CDI Sport, C-Class Coupé Sport includes following:

AMG Plus Sports package
-black exterior mirrors
-AMG sports suspension with spring and damper setup for optimised lateral dynamics plus modified camber and bearings
-Sports braking system with larger brake discs
Speed-sensitive sports steering with more direct ratio
-Sports exhaust system, with sound generator in the rear silencer in the case of the C 250 CDI Sport
-Engine management with more responsive accelerator mapping
-More sporty transmission configuration in S and M mode, with shorter shift times, double-declutch function and active downshift when braking

AMG Plus Sports package includes following:

-AMG 7-twin-spoke light-alloy wheels painted in high-gloss black with high-sheen finish, tyre size 225/40 R 18 (front) and 255/35 R 18 (rear)
-AMG bodystyling with front apron, side sill panels and rear apron
-AMG spoiler lip
-Sports seats in black ARTICO man-made leather/DINAMICA with red contrasting topstitching
-Door centre panels in black DINAMICA
3-spoke multifunction sports steering wheel with flattened lower section and red contrasting topstitching
-designo seat belts in red (deselectable option)
-Sports pedal cluster in brushed stainless steel with rubber studs
-Red contrasting topstitching on selector lever, centre console armrest and door panels
-AMG floor mats with red edging band

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestion. Coincidentally, I'm going to my dealer tomorrow morning so that they can give me my UCI cable (iPod, USB, 3.5mm AUX) for MultiMedia COMMAND. Unfortunately, I want the flexibility to transfer contacts myself for the times I update or remove contacts, which means that I need a solution to purchase.

BTW, why Mercedes couldn't simply update at least the MY 2010 and 2011 W204 MultiMedia COMMAND with an SD card reader and not PCMCIA....I have no idea. MY 2010 W212 E class COMMAND has a SD slot, so it would have been a good time for Mercedes to simply change the PCMCIA slot to an SD slot for the W204 COMMAND as well.

Goodness, I mean, ExpressCard at least would have been a more logical choice than PCMCIA to at least keep up with the times.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.