#1 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
C300 Questions (I Need Some Help)

I am in the market for a car and have always had my eye on Mercedes. With much research, I found the Mercedes C class to be most suitable for me. I am now in the market for a "new" car. This will be by second car but first big purchase. Because my father has a great history with cars, he is assisting me with my car shopping. Yesterday, we went to a Ford dealership because he wanted me to give Ford a chance. Needless to say, we test drove the Fusion and Focus, and I found the cars to be cheepy and basically crap in my standards. So, now I am persuading him to check out the 2008-2009 MB C300's. He is not too keen on foreign cars, but I would like to change this. I found a 2008 C300 with 40,000 and still with a factory warranty. Can anyone give me tips on how to persuade him to give the car a chance? His big issue is with maintenance, but I will solely be using him as my car mechanic since he maintenances the familys' cars, which leads me to believe maintenance will be far more cheaper. I need help from the MB pros! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:30 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2012
I test drove the Focus, and really liked it, honestly. Although, the fit and finish, as well as quality of materials used is of no comparison to the Merc.

As far as maintenance goes, its a naturally aspirated V6. There's just not a ton to go wrong. Yes, oil changes cost a lot, IF you have someone else do them, but the recommended oil change interval is 13k miles with the proper fleece filter, as compared to a standard oil change with a paper filter and Dino oil only being good for 3k miles. In the end, its the same amount of money.

The Merc will cost you a bit more in the long run, but that's the cost of driving a nicer vehicle. People that get worried over maintenance costs always confused me. Its a car. When stuff breaks, they're all expensive to fix unless you are capable of turning your own wrenches.

Get the w204 if you really like it, but don't discount the Focus (2012 or newer) its a good car too, although its no Mercedes.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If he (father) is not experienced servicing late model Benz cars, then he probably won't be doing most of the maintenance.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite metallic/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
#4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 05:46 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Its maintenance. Pretty standard procedures.

#5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTNewman View Post
Its maintenance. Pretty standard procedures.

Some of the tools and diagnostic equipment is not standard procedures, not done in home garages. Of course good independent techs are about 30% cheaper than dealer service. Yes, oil and filter changes are standard enough. See owners maintenance manual for what's done beyond oil and filter changes.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite metallic/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
#6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:51 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2009 C300 Sport 6 Speed; 2008 E350 4MATIC Sport
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This sounds like a significant family problem waiting to happen. I would hold off on "my first Mercedes" until you are more independent both in the purchase and being responsible for the maintenance. Your dad is not going to be able to take overall care of an MB if its his first exposure...too many peculiarities and special knowledge/equipment needed, and the cost of parts or service will spoil many a dinner conversation. At 40,000 miles, you are likely facing a variety of wear and tear procedures in the life of that car.

Here's a good compromise. Unlike the current Fusion, the new Fusion, coming in the Fall is actually the German Ford Mondeo, slightly adapted for the US. It's received strong reviews in it's Auto Show debuts. A new Fusion may be a highly satisfactory next new car for you in your situation, and make for an overall much happier family life. It should also be an excellent car, a significant step above the current model and hold you nicely until you are ready to "spread your own wings".

2013 Ford Fusion – Future Cars – Car and Driver

Sportstick
2009 C300 Sport 6 Speed SOLD (Just visiting! Went to the other side!)
2008 E350 Sport 4MATIC

Last edited by Sportstick; 06-07-2012 at 01:55 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Mac
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2002
Whatever the mtce costs may be i think an '08 C300 still will be a neater car to own in 2018 than a '12 Focus will be in 2018. And if along the way you are involved in a accident the MB will take the punch.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-SV View Post
Some of the tools and diagnostic equipment is not standard procedures, not done in home garages. Of course good independent techs are about 30% cheaper than dealer service. Yes, oil and filter changes are standard enough. See owners maintenance manual for what's done beyond oil and filter changes.
I've read the manual, thanks.

Tools and diagnostic equipment? You need diagnostic equipment for maintenance? OK.

Its not a 747, its an entry level Mercedes Benz. According to the manual on any newer vehicle, there is specific diagnostic equipment necessary for maintenance.

Maybe this guy just shouldn't buy a new car at all. Should probably stick with something with a carburetor, because everything else made in the last 20 years requires special diagnostic equipment. Please, tell me, what is this special diagnostic equipment that is required to maintain these vehicles?

Again, we're talking about maintenance, not repairs. I stand by the fact that if you're not scared to turn a wrench you can work on there cars.

#9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 10:23 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2012
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
This sounds like a significant family problem waiting to happen. I would hold off on "my first Mercedes" until you are more independent both in the purchase and being responsible for the maintenance. Your dad is not going to be able to take overall care of an MB if its his first exposure...too many peculiarities and special knowledge/equipment needed, and the cost of parts or service will spoil many a dinner conversation. At 40,000 miles, you are likely facing a variety of wear and tear procedures in the life of that car.

Here's a good compromise. Unlike the current Fusion, the new Fusion, coming in the Fall is actually the German Ford Mondeo, slightly adapted for the US. It's received strong reviews in it's Auto Show debuts. A new Fusion may be a highly satisfactory next new car for you in your situation, and make for an overall much happier family life. It should also be an excellent car, a significant step above the current model and hold you nicely until you are ready to "spread your own wings".

2013 Ford Fusion – Future Cars – Car and Driver
The Focus has been completely crossed off of our list. He didn't like the fact it's a V4, cheapy model, etc. I currently drive a V6 and love it. So, we will not be considering this car at all. He is great with cars and in all honesty, I believe he won't have a problem with maintenance. He just thinks the car will turn out to be costly. Also, I am on my own wings. He is by no means buying the car, I am. He just wants to make sure I will be making a good purchase.
#10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 06:09 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessay View Post
...didn't like the fact it's a V4...
OK. You're likely to not be doing your own maintenance, so, if you cannot find a reliable, trustworthy independent shop for Mercedes Benz, I'd stick with something a little more on the simple side.

As already mentioned, the 2013 Fusion is going to be a beautiful car, and should have an ecoboost option as well. Check that out, as I agree, the current fusion does feel a bit cheap.

Good luck with your purchase, whatever your decision.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class