Check Engine light - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Check Engine light

So my check engine light came on the other day...
I take it to the dealer and he asks me was this after a fill-up. I said no. He said because if you don't close the gas cap correctly it won't create a good vacuum seal and it will send a check engine light. I said oh okay well why don't we just go check it now and see, he responds it doesn't matter the check engine light has to be reset by the machine at the dealership. And if that is the problem I will be charged half an hour labour.

WTF... I find it unacceptable that the check engine light for not closing the gas cap requires a reset by the computer at the dealer. There should be a serperate inidicator light for the gas cap.
Jamolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: 2011 C300 4matic, palladium, HFS, MM&HK, 18"AMGs
What year is your car? My owner's manual (2011 C300) indicates that there is a "Gas Cap Loose" message and pump icon that can be displayed in the multifunction display.
Global33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global33 View Post
What year is your car? My owner's manual (2011 C300) indicates that there is a "Gas Cap Loose" message and pump icon that can be displayed in the multifunction display.
Oh cool, I have a 2008. Anybody know if the 2008s have this icon?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
RE
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 2008 C300 Barolo Red P2 MM leather 18" AMGs new style folding mirrors + 1984 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolah View Post
So my check engine light came on the other day...
I take it to the dealer and he asks me was this after a fill-up. I said no. He said because if you don't close the gas cap correctly it won't create a good vacuum seal and it will send a check engine light. I said oh okay well why don't we just go check it now and see, he responds it doesn't matter the check engine light has to be reset by the machine at the dealership. And if that is the problem I will be charged half an hour labour.

WTF... I find it unacceptable that the check engine light for not closing the gas cap requires a reset by the computer at the dealer. There should be a serperate inidicator light for the gas cap.
I think he recognizes you as a person who has never read his owner's manual.

You can be responsible for the light if you have not fully tightened the gas or oil caps or have not fully inserted the dipstick. Each of these items is related to the emission system which explains the light.

After one of these causes has been rectified, the light will self extinguish after a certain number of engine starts

Last edited by RE; 09-21-2011 at 09:24 PM.
RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2013 C300 Sport Darth V 3.0
Quote:
Oh cool, I have a 2008. Anybody know if the 2008s have this icon?
No it doesn't.

It is a standard question the SA will ask when the CEL comes on. It is the most common cause and can cause damage to the emission system. It is a good practice to check my 08 had to have the O2 sensor and the cam magnets changed and the only indication was the CEL.

"A Brabus Maybach," he said, as she turned her head in time to see him give the wheel a little pat. "The firm of Brabus extensively tweaks the product of Maybach, to produce one of these."

"Darth my ride?"

From chapter 17 of Spook Country by William Gibson
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
This is a warning then to ALL W204 drivers, you have to turn OFF the engine at all times during filling, and make sure the gas cap is firmly tightened BEFORE starting the engine.

Here is a warning from the Owner's Manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Check Engine light-gascap.jpg  
William Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

So it turned out to be the O2 sensor, which was replaced under warranty
Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2013 C300 Sport Darth V 3.0
Quote:
So it turned out to be the O2 sensor, which was replaced under warranty
There are actually 4 O2 sensors I have had all replaced at least once on my 08.
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
lou
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2013
Unhappy stopped in the rain.....

I ran into some bad thunderstorm and water filled almost to door sill I was able to open door put completely shut down ad it towed across street to parking lot to let water dry out and after few hours it hesitated start but managed to start>next day engine light came on by the time I took to service station was blinking and completely shutting down just enough time to pull in lot and call tow truck...wondering what would've damaged the car maybe exhaust and water I was sitting forever in the water in seemed what u think....auto zone said o2 and oreillys test. help?
2010c300 4matic
lou is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class