#1 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help me decide on B1 service

I am a benz owner for the first time and I need to take my car for its B1 service. C350 is underused since its A(1st) service ~ 5K miles. Since B1 is very expensive (430 in my area) I was thinking of driving another 5K miles by resetting the service required indicator and without voiding the manufacturer's warranty. I am not sure whether service indicator resetting because of under usage void my warranty or not? Also, please let me know if there are any alternative options which I adapt for my situation (Just doing oil change)

Thanks for your time and advice. It is highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: C200 Manufactured 1994, C220 Manufactured 1995, C220 Manufactured 1995
I think your effort not to spend will depend on a few things:
Your car is much newer than mine, so am giving OldSchool tips :-)

What was changed during your A service?
Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Oil and Oil Filter?

Service B should check all Service A items and more; Cabin filters, Spark Plugs, Brake Pads, brake shoes, (I doubt that your model has those etc... Service B is really detailed...

If your Fuel filter was changed, you should get 15,000km or more off it.
For the newer C350 it might even be better :-) You need to get the service schedules and see. I guess your model can show those from diagnostic as well.

Oil obviously goes with an Oil Filter change. With synthetic oil, you may be able to stretch to close to 7,000km or even 10,000km. So you need advice on that too. The performance in my car goes down when I get to about 6,000km without an oil change. Interestingly for my old car, i find synthetic oil serves better and gives me very good performance, almost like a race car :-)

My Spark Plugs are looked at during B Service (every 15,000km) but on newer models, they can even do 50,000km and over so you can just give your dealer a call about that one to find out.

I do not know about diesel models and glow plugs.

Am assuming you are not in Africa?
Here I change my air-filter every 3000-5000km, it is so dusty where I am (Kampala, Uganda) and I do not want my engine to choke. I sometimes change the air filter even before the service schedule time.

On my old 1994 C200 here is what i do,

Oil change every 5000km at least
Air filter 3000km (due to environment, too much dust here)
Transmission oil (75,000km check, I bought the car USED at over 96,000km- previous owner had never checked and it was a MESS)
Fuel Filter 15,000km (here our conditions are not so clean, after 15,000km I hear my fuel pump hiss a little louder which means it's stressed due to filter)
Brake Fluid 25,000km (to be one the safe side here in this environment. Recently, I started experiencing problems from Brake Caliper cylinder due to dirty brake fluid and corrosion. Cylinder would not release brake in caliper sufficiently, so brake would make noise. Don't keep topping up you Brake fluid forever, at some point it is better to have brakes bled and fresh fluid put in)

I think that is all I can think of, but those are ideas from my OLD car :-)

Your car is new and still under warranty, so please do not do anything to VOID that warranty. Please check with dealer first.

Thank you.

Benz is like
#3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 06:52 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2012 ML350 Dakota Brown Bluetec
Send a message via Skype™ to harocho
I have exactly the same car and the same situation. I drive about 8K miles per year on my C350. So the maintenance indicator adjusts for this and now goes by time. It will trigger the maintenance reminders every 360 days instead of 13K miles.
If you look at the manual, service B for a W204 is a lot of simple checks, that probably you can do yourself if you are mechanically inclined. The two most time consuming would be the cabin filter and oil change. This is about 20 minutes for each.
What you can do to same money is: Have your dealer do a oil change for about $90.oo and buy the cabin filter ($35)and install it yourself (there are instructions on the web to do this). In most cases your dealer will reset the service indicator after the oil change, if they did not, you can do it.
I would not delay the oil change. Because of the way you are driving your car, sludge-water and other contaminants accumulate faster in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.