C300 Speaker Replacement - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 03:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: C220 CDI
Send a message via Skype™ to c220cdiw204
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightminer View Post
Obviously it will cost more, but if you really want to upgrade, check out Focal speakers.
What Focal model?
c220cdiw204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Well, they have a pretty good range, the top of the line gets high in price, but frankly they are much, much better than the other speakers mentioned here. Here is an extreme example:

Mercedes C300 Sport Focal America

I know we are 4 X 6.5, but I'm not sure about the modular part, the rears may or may not need separate tweeter, also you want to check ohms and all that - with modern cars and all the integration you really have to spend a lot of time getting it right, or go to an expensive shop. Sometimes the factory units will send a surprising frequency range to a particular speaker, and you might get aftermarket parts with difference crossover points, and really screw up good sound. It will play loud in that case, but sound horrible . So, at the least you have to compare Ohms of each part currently in the car, as well as freq spectrum covered, and then make sure the replacement parts have very similar ohms, and can cover those freq's... Its all a mess these days...

Assuming all that works out well, I would go maybe 165 KR, in fact, I might do that in a few months (I've done it on other cars I have, but not the C300 yet). You can go really really far up the line... Over 2k per speaker if you want. The 165 KR is already plenty expensive - but gets you into their yellow line, yellow meaning 'damn good'. As you go higher they change the tweeter and adjustability of the mid and high response. Many people have remarked that Focal 6.5 has more bass than most other companies 6X9.

Do we have anything under the rear deck/panel by the window? I can sort of see something there, but can't quite make it out, and it has that speaker-cover style material.

//EDIT
just found this, still current?
http://mercedes.harmankardon.com/en/...technical.aspx
(btw, if you highlight the woofer, man, that looks fishy to me.)
//EDIT

Assuming there is enough space (they do make 'slim' models) the 165 KR is high-enough up their line to blow away anything else mentioned in this thread. However, you have to do a bit of ohm-matching and playing around with it, like I said, they don't make this easy on us anymore.

Some would say, assuming we can't get pre-level out's from the head unit, that you need one of the speaker line level amplfiers to really do this correctly. I haven't gone to that level of studying the C300 yet. If you can get pre-out, it is easy.

You could also go 165 KRX2 in front, and then something non-yellow (cheaper) in back (to get average price the same as suggestion above) - maybe 165 VB, then the driver will get all that direct super-smooth high freq... That is actually probably the best route. But you should try to demo that in a store, while I think it will be fine as the rear is so reflected by the time you hear it, the treble will still be very different and you don't want it to sound not-well-matched. But it is an idea...

Also, they have 3-way, you do a ton better with 3-way. If you can cut up the deck in the back a little and get a 3-way to work, (putting the extra part in the deck), WOW. That would be cool. 165 KRX3 - you are talking 2k per side, but you are also talking 45 or 40 Hz bottom end. And a very high end crossover.

Anyway lots of options!

Last edited by lightminer; 02-24-2012 at 12:37 AM.
lightminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: C220 CDI
Send a message via Skype™ to c220cdiw204
For $140 per pair I just ordered the MB Quart RVF216 for all 4 doors(2-)way

Power Handling: 70 - 140 W
Impedance: 4 ohms
Sensitivity: 2,5 W (90 dB/1m)
Frequency Response: 38 - 32.000 Hz

I did hear them and for that value I was getting 6x9 bass and the sensitivity is also nice and high. Well my 4 doors are sound deadened like the Focal showcar C300 but my boot isnt isolated from the cabin with the built-in woofer box as shown. I agree that by increasing the gain boost on the factory EQ will give loudness but a messup of tones. Fantastic piece of advice thanks.
I plan to use the new Rockford 3 Sixty version 3 processor to channel the crossovers frequencies to make the sound stage come alive and elimate all the passive-crossovers that the 6.5" splits come with.
c220cdiw204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class