Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

18" AMG 5-Twin-Spoke Wheels on 2008 C300 Sport (W204) 4Matic

12K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  benzman08 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my second post. Sorry about the duplicate post on the Tire Rack thread, but I didn't get any replies after two days.

I just bought a 2008 C300 Sport 4Matic in Iridium Silver with P2, Multimedia, iPod adapter and Panoramic roof. I should take delivery this Friday.

I would like to know whether anyone definitively knows the reason the 18" AMG 5-Twin-Spoke Wheels are not offered as an option on the 2008 C300 Sport 4Matic. The wheels are available as an option on the C350 Sport and on the C300 Sport RWD models, but not on the C300 Sport 4Matic.

The bolt pattern, offset and wheel width are the same on the 4Matic and RWD models, so it isn't a matter of fitting, unless there is something different about the brake rotors on the 4Matic.

I've done some research online and have seen various theories proposed. One person suggested that it is a requirement on 4Matic models that the front and rear wheels are not staggered (that is, that the front and rear wheels are the same width). I don't think that theory is right, however, since I looked at both 4Matic and non-4Matic models at the dealership and the C300 Sport and C300 Sport 4Matic have the exact same wheels on them - both had 17" wheels with staggered widths.

I also shopped at the Tire Rack and saw that the same size wheels are available for both the C300 Sport and C300 Sport 4Matic, with no apparent limitation on wheel availability for the 4Matic version.

Therefore, my theory (which I am hoping to have confirmed or refuted here) is that M-B simply doesn't offer the 18" AMG wheel option when purchasing the 4Matic because the type of tires they put on the AMG wheels are too performance oriented to work well on snow, despite the capability of the all wheel drive feature of the 4Matic. But this is just a theory.

Any information would be helpful.

See less See more
#3 ·
I was told by a dealer that 4matic is used for snow so that's why they don't offer the 18" wheels. In canada, the 18" is only available for the C350 sport. You can always buy them separately, but it costs about 8k CDN. I suggest buying yourself a set of 19" instead. 18" is a lil small to me, not sure what you think?

#4 ·
I was told by a dealer that 4matic is used for snow so that's why they don't offer the 18" wheels.
That certainly makes sense to me.

I suggest buying yourself a set of 19" instead. 18" is a lil small to me, not sure what you think?
I certainly like the look of the 19" rims, but I don't care for the harsh ride. There isn't much sidewall on the 19's. The 18's are sportier than the stock 17" rims, but are a little more forgiving for a daily driver than 19's.

Ned

#5 ·
Canadian C350 4matic

You CAN get 18" AMG upgrade option for C350 4matic's. It has been approved for C350 4matic by MB Germany since October for Canada. The only problem is availability. So if you place an order for a C350 4matic, the 18 inch AMG wheels is an CDN$1500 option in the computer when you place an order. However, when the sales agent select that option, the computer might or might not allow him/her to do it, depending on the global availability of those wheels at the time of your order. I ordered mine in October and got that as an option confirmed. I am taking delivery of my car in about 2 weeks, and it better come with 18" wheels! :D

#6 · (Edited)
You CAN get 18" AMG upgrade option for C350 4matic's. It has been approved for C350 4matic by MB Germany since October for Canada. The only problem is availability. So if you place an order for a C350 4matic, the 18 inch AMG wheels is an CDN$1500 option in the computer when you place an order. However, when the sales agent select that option, the computer might or might not allow him/her to do it, depending on the global availability of those wheels at the time of your order. I ordered mine in October and got that as an option confirmed. I am taking delivery of my car in about 2 weeks, and it better come with 18" wheels! :D
You're lucky, because in the USA you cannot get the 18" AMG wheels as an option on any C300 4Matic and you cannot get the C350 in a 4Matic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.