Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2008 C300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to MikeInCanada
(Thread Starter)
Frozen Heater Fan

I live in Regina SK and I have a new C300. In the short time I have had it I have noticed a problem. My heater fan seems to freeze up over night. I turn the heat up every imaginable way and nothing blows out of the vents. After about 20 minutes of driving it seems that it "thaws out" because the fan will suddenly come on full blast right as I arrive at work. At -15 this is annoying, at -45 this will be a life threatening issue.

My dealership has sent an email to MB but have not recieved direction from them yet Anyone else experience this? How did they resolve it?

Other than that I love the car, the rear wheel drive is doing fine in the snow and I dont think I will even bother with winter tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: Oo == oO 98 E320
It's possible that your car, like some other MB's is set up to not blow warmed air until the engine is at least a bit warmed up. That said, am sure MB will find a fix to get you going sooner!

'87 300E: sold after 11years @ 230k & still on the road somewhere in rural Tennessee.

'94 C220 with 93k totalled 10/06 by hit & run broadsiding monster truck: not a scratch or bruise for me
#3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 03:56 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: W204 C220cdi Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCanada View Post
My dealership has sent an email to MB but have not recieved direction from them yet Anyone else experience this? How did they resolve it?
Take a look at this thread over on MBWorld. Seems like it is a known issue with a known fix.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 04:11 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Hi, I live in Boston and after the last snow storm my heater stopped working. So, I called the dealer and they were VERY interested in my car. To cut the long story short, they were VERY NICE to me and someone from MB ( tech or someone higher) came to the dealership to check the car. In summary , there is a design problem with the heater system , hence the water is leaking into the system , freezing the fan and "shorting" some relays. They have modified the parts that was leading the wather into the system and fixed the rest. Apparently I was the second car in the same dealership , so they were very intersted. At this point it looks fixed. The name of my dealer that was very helpful is SMITH MOTORS of HAVERHILL. Hope this helps.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Someone from my dealership came to my work and picked up my car today. I had to go out of town so I don't know how they made out but I will post tomorrow what they found. I didn't call them so they must have got a call from MB about the email they had sent regarding my issue.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 01:22 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
They were told to put a screen-type shield over the intake for the hater fan...with much excitement we started up the car this morning only to find that it fixed absolutely nothing.

Anyways, back to the drawing board.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 05:05 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: ML320 CDI Verdebrook - 2007
Screen will only prevent/avoid future problems...

Mike, if the cause of the C-class problem is anything like the M-class, adding the screen on the intake vents will only prevent future snow from getting in near the fan and melting, then freezing there. It doesn't fix the problem once it's occured, unless they've also ensured that all the melted snow/moisture is removed from inside the ducts and around the fan.

At least this is what it took for my car (ML320), plus they plan to replace the fan to prevent future failure since it has been sitting in a pool of water, which may later rust the bearings (according to the tech...)
#8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2008 C300 4M Cubanite Silver & 2000 SLK 230M
My fan also froze this week after a -16 dC night. Spoke to the dealer and was told this has become a widespread problem within Mercedes and Chrysler products. My first inkling of a problem was earlier this winter after a heavy snowfall the blower made a nasty sound like there was something stuck in it, then suddenly cleared itself. The dealer acknowledges that even being vigilant about cleaning snow from the air inlets prior to starting will not prevent this problem. He wants me to book the car in for repair but it has not occurred again this week. From the various posts I'm not sure they have a 100% fix, so I'm going to try to wait until I'm due for the first service (currently at 4,000 km).
#9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2008
Ice and snow being sucked into the hvac intake located at the cowl panel. As the result of shorting out the blower fan motor. MB have no fix at this moment by adding a screen type shield for temp. repair only. Apperently MB Gemany is working on a new design of the cover which a recall should be launched once it is ready.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I don't think it shorts out the blower fan motor because after the vehicle warms up...about 20 minutes of driving, the fan starts back up again.

Since getting the screen installed in mine the problem has not returned. Even when it was -51 here. Thank goodness because that would have been life threatening.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class