Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2003 C32 - Blew engine….Rebuild or sell AS-IS?

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dem45133 
#1 ·
Coming off an off-ramp in Southern California, during rush hour traffic, when a clanking sound begins and a huge cloud of smoke begins to appear behind me. I coast to a stop, motor already dead by the time I press the brake, get out of car to find a massive amount of oil coming out underneath the passenger side of the motor. Mechanic says no compression in cylinder one and two and number three has 60PSI. At least those plugs are full of oil. He believes timing chain busted and broke through its cover, hence all the oil. Damage ensued thereafter. It already has 249,000+ miles on it and almost made it to 250,000. At this point, it's probably too expensive to rebuild, since with that many miles, it's probably not worth more than $5,000. Had just rebuilt the power steering pump, replaced alternator, replaced auxilary water pump, drained radiator and replaced with MBZ fluid ,replaced the supercharger auxilary pump and replaced #3 belt tensioner.... all in the last 2 months. How much is it worth as-is anyone know? How much to rebuild motor? Gotta do something. :crying

#6 ·
What's it worth? Right now, just the parts you can sell off it, and your time and trouble to sell them. So pretty much $0.
But for a $2K motor and $1K to install, you have a running car again. Then you have a car that's worth maybe $3K? It's a push, so it's up to you what to do.
You can always buy another C32, then use the good parts off yours to keep it going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.