New question about P0410 (Secondary Air Injection Pump) - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > W203 C32 AMG, C55 AMG
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2008
New question about P0410 (Secondary Air Injection Pump)

So back in 2006, my Air Pump started smoking one day when my fiance had the car out. Literally the thing just melted right in the engine compartment. Had the car towed, the dealership replaced the Pump and I'm guessing the relay. (under warranty)

A few months ago, the CEL came on, and I pulled the code myself this time, and of course it was P0410. I read a lot about it this time, and realized it was just emissions, so of course I just put it off until I needed the emissions inspection. As it got closer, I tried to do a little bit of diagnosis myself, and checked for the pump to come on after starting it. Of course, the pump came on and was blowing air, but it had a strange whining sound.

I figured it was going to be a sensor or something trivial, but of course the dealer said the relay and motor needed to be replaced. I'm long past the warranty, so of course, it was supposed to be almost $1000 to fix it. Mercedes decided to throw in the parts for free given my circumstance and so I had to pay 490 for labor.. (Yeah I don't get it).

Anyways, since I want to keep the car for a long time, and don't want to deal with this apparent problem (over and over and over and over) like some people, what would be the problem of just unplugging the relay and disconnecting the air pump for that rainy day when i need my emissions inspection every two years? ANY THOUGHTS?

(of course besides being an anti-environment scumbag)
alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: C32 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
....A few months ago, the CEL came on, and I pulled the code myself this time, and of course it was P0410. I read a lot about it this time, and realized it was just emissions, so of course I just put it off until I needed the emissions inspection. As it got closer, I tried to do a little bit of diagnosis myself, and checked for the pump to come on after starting it. Of course, the pump came on and was blowing air, but it had a strange whining sound.

....but of course the dealer said the relay and motor needed to be replaced.....

....what would be the problem of just unplugging the relay and disconnecting the air pump for that rainy day when i need my emissions inspection every two years?....
1. The annoying CEL!

2. (more importantly) The purpose of the pump is to supply the cats with more air (oxygen) so that unburned hydrocarbons are eliminated prior to exhaust.
Yes, a lot of the pump's function has to do with emissions, however:
If you get rid of this function for a long period of time, I could envisage a situation where you are risking 'fouling' of the catalytic converters. That may (stress: may) lead to clogging of the cats and subsequent problems associated with this.
boohooramblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2008
Well it only pumps air for the first 30 seconds of a cold engine start, so I imagine as long as i go on slightly longer trips where the cat heats up to regular operating temp, I should be fine.
alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 2003 SL55
I had this P0410 fault recently and havent yet forked out fo rhte part as doing battle wiht the warranty company. My warranty states the following is covered:
"Exhaust System (including catalytic converter)"
So I am saying the air pump is part of the exhaust system but they are not having it.

Anyway... I have an intermittent loss of power. Warranty technician explained to me that failure of this air pump will not affect performance when engine is cold, but once it is running hot it will affect the lambda sensor and the fuel injection will not perform properly. I don't understand why it has this impact, but it is what I am experiencing. If I stay below 3000 revs then all is fine and I can get to the red line with all the power. But keep it over 4500 for more than around a minute and the car becomes a total dog.

I also have an intake air temp too high error. Somehow these are related but the dealer would not explain how. They just want me to pay £700 for the pump and relay or stop wasting their time.

Car is a 2003 SL55. Owned for 7 mths and this problem showed up just this week.
BravoEchoUniform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
First of all......the AIR injection system is used to help your catalytic converter come the the proper operating temperature.....not to help with unburnt anything. With my experience dealing with air injection system.....i've actually replaced plenty of switch over valves. I'm not saying that's something to look in the future......just saying what my experiences are. Usually if the pump can be heard coming on.... the switchover valve is to blame. just my 2 cents. Oh and as far as unplugging the relay for inspections....that's a NO GO....check engine light will come on!!!!
MBENZTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

I don't think a SL55 has a electric air pump. For some reason I think it diverts air from the supercharger. Now I need to go look at a SL engine pic. And where do you drive where you can keep that engine above 4500 for over a minute?
Pembroke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 SL55
Yeah it has a secondary air pump. Its on the rhs of the engine just the other side of the wheel arch from the wheel.

Keeping it at 4500 rpm is easy in manual mode.
BravoEchoUniform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
YOUR DOGGING OUT PROBLEM AT HIGHER RPMS SOUNDS LIKE A DEFECTIVE COOLANT CIRCULATION PUMP!! VERY COMMON AMONGST THE SUPERCHARGER CARS. MIGHT WANT TO MAKE SURE IT ACTIVATES AT THE CORRECT TIME AND IS NOT BURNED OUT.
PUNKROCKBENZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > W203 C32 AMG, C55 AMG