Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New C230 Owner! Couple of questions please!

424 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rudeney 
#1 ·
Hi I'm new to the forum but have driven couple of w203s (c240s/c230) from relatives and loved them. I bought a new daily driver that has been well maintained (dealer) by the previous owner and all service records. It's a 2007 Pewter C230 with 103K miles on the clock. I checked the vin and it's well past the balance shaft issue. Being a 10 year old car with 100K miles, it does come require a little bit of TLC and I have a couple of questions for you guys.

1. Brake knock / clunk

PO just had it serviced less than 10K miles ago with new pads, rotors, brake fluid etc. from the dealer ship. Problem occurs when you do a fast light tap on the brakes. You could feel like there's a little play along with the sound? But if you first ease on the brake before putting your foot down firmly, there's no clunking or feel of play in the brake/suspension. I just got the car today haven't had the chance to check it but I will double check the calipers, brakes, suspension if there's anything lose. Could it be bad bushings? Struts?

2. Intake Manifold Linkage

Going through the PO's service records from the dealership, I read one note that says "Tested intake flaps, found linkage coming apart. Recommend to replace intake manifold. ..... Note! Intake manifold decline at this time." This about 4K miles ago. Never mentioned anything which linkage needs to be fixed. Don't even know what that is. How expensive/difficult is this? I've done some basic mechanic work before.

3. Head light resotoration

PO owner backed up on the left front fender of the car, she had everything fixed, including a used, new looking driver side headlight. Now the passenger looks like ass because it's yellow. Should I do headlight restoration or get a used but new looking one?

4. Stereo / phone / bluetooth / mp3

What are my options regarding having my music stream to the head unit? Use FM transmitter? Way to put an aux in? Sound system sounds really good for stock though.

5. Heated seats retrofit

Anybody done this? Too much hassle? Do able? I did it before on my 2006 BMW E46 M3, which I put heated seats and did all my wiring.

6. Make the look less dated and more aggressive

Any thought on making it look meaner? Removing the hood emblem that's sticking out and put a grille with the mercedes logo on it?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thank you in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Brake knock / clunk

I'd guess suspension issues. If it's all original, it's definitely time for control arms.

2. Intake Manifold Linkage

It's not hard, just some wrenching. You may end up needing to replace some rubber vacuum hoses as they will be old and brittle. You should be able to get the Pierburg (aftermarket) part for under $500.

3. Head light resotoration

Try restoration, and if it doesn't work, replace. You might want to consider replacing both with aftermarket projector/HID units. If so, spend the money and get good ones (genuine DEPO brand).

4. Stereo / phone / bluetooth / mp3

If it does not already have an AUX input jack in the glove compartment, it can be retrofitted. Search the forum - there are two pieces you may need, one is the jack wiring itself, the other is the wiring from behind the radio.

5. Heated seats retrofit

It can be done. If you want OE, then you replace the upper control panel on the dash with one that has the controls, then replace the seats with ones that have heating. You will also need the seat controllers (under the seats) that connect to the heaters. Once all that's in place, they should just work (it uses CAN bus signals so no additional wiring needed). That will be expensive, so you might just look into an aftermarket system

6. Make the look less dated and more aggressive

Removing the hood ornament is easy. Look on eBay for replacement badges to cover the hole. If you replace the grille, look for a three-slat version - that looks more updated than the older style 5 and 6 slats versions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.