Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

My 6-speed is now a 1-speed! Any help is appreciated

702 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  tifoso2002 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I have a '03 C240 6-speed manual. Yesterday I was driving it, I backed down the driveway and shut it off. A little later I started the car to leave and for some reason it only has one forward gear which I believe is second or possibly third gear. With the exception of the reverse position the shifter has a lot of wobble, as if the shifter is always in neutral, no matter where I move it. If i put the shifter in neutral, the car won't move but no matter which gear (including reverse) I select it makes no difference because the transmission is still in the same 2nd/3rd gear (can't tell which one). And I don't know if this helps any but one other detail, when the car is stationary and running and I have the shifter in neutral and the clutch is engaged (foot NOT on clutch) if I try to put the shifter in gear (happens for every gear) the car slowly starts to inch forward. Do you'll have any thoughts or ideas on what could cause this? Is it a problem with the linkage or the transmission itself? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.

#2 ·
Start by looking at the following

1- Potentially a clutch cable / slave cylinder problem.
2 -Clutch Pilot Bearing Issue.
3 -Look at the shifter linkage bushing that they are ok.

4 - Potentially the clutch is cooked (finished)

I'd start by looking unde the car on a lift for 1 & 3

Then investigate into 2 and 4 if 1 & 3 appear ok.

#4 ·
Still looking for answers

Thanks to those of you that responded. Hutch, all the components of the shifter itself are intact and working. Thanks. Tifoso, I don't think the problem is related to the clutch itself because it still is working as it had before. But if I am overlooking something please by all means correct me. Rereading my initial post I can see where it may be a little confusing. I could have worded some things a little better. To clear up any difficulties in understanding what I am saying I am copying the initial post and pasting it here with the corrections being in caps:

Hey guys. I have a '03 C240 6-speed manual. Yesterday I was driving it, I backed down the driveway and shut it off. A little later I started the car to leave and for some reason it NOW ONLY HAS 3RD GEAR. With the exception of the reverse position, WHEN ANY GEAR IS SELECTED THE SHIFTER CAN BE MOVED FROM SIDE-TO-SIDE AS IF THE SHIFTER WERE IN NEUTRAL.

WHEN THE SHIFTER IS IN THE NEUTRAL POSITION EVERYTHING WORKS AS IT SHOULD AND THE TRANSMISSION ITSELF IS ACTUALLY IN NEUTRAL. BUT WHEN I SELECT ANY GEAR (INCLUDING REVERSE) WITH THE SHIFTER AND LET OUT THE CLUTCH, THE TRANSMISSION ITSELF WILL BE IN 3RD GEAR. FOR EXAMPLE, THE CAR IS STOPPED AND I PUT THE SHIFTER IN 1ST GEAR, WHEN I LET OUT ON THE CLUTCH TO TAKE OFF, THE TRANSMISSION ITSELF IS IN 3RD GEAR. SO AS EXPECTED THE TAKE OFF IS SLOW. WHEN I GET ENOUGH SPEED TO SHIFT I PUSH IN THE CLUTCH AND MOVE THE SHIFTER FROM 1ST GEAR (ALTHOUGH KEEP IN MIND THE TRANNY IS IN 3RD GEAR) TO LETS SAY 6TH GEAR. WHEN I LET OUT ON THE CLUTCH THE TRANNY IS STILL IN 3RD GEAR. BASICALLY THE ONLY OUTPUT OF THE TRANNY IS 3RD GEAR AND NEUTRAL REGARDLESS OF THE SHIFTER INPUT.

And I don't know if this helps any but one other detail, when the car is stationary and running and the shifter (AND THEREFORE THE TRANSMISSION TOO) is in neutral, if I GENTLY APPLY PRESSURE TO the shifter TOWARDS ANY gear WITHOUT PUSHING IN THE CLUTCH, EVEN THOUGH THE SHIFTER IS NOWHERE EVEN CLOSE TO BEING FULLY IN A GEAR the car will very slowly start to inch forward. WHEN IT DOES THIS I CAN TELL THAT NO MATTER TOWARDS WHICH GEAR I AM APPLYING THIS SLIGHT PRESSURE THE INCHING FORWARD OF THE CAR IS COMING FROM 3RD GEAR. AND I DONT HEAR ANY GRINDING TAKING PLACE WHEN I TRY IT. Do you'll have any thoughts or ideas on what could cause this? Is it a problem with the linkage or the transmission itself? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.

#6 ·
Well in lieu of this new information here is how I would proceed

1 - Get to the shifter linnkage bushings and make sure everything is working properly and tight. Best bet is to put the car on a lift and in worst case scenario have someone shift from inside the car while someone dignoses it from underneath.

2 if no solution ... would need to remove the tranny split the case and see whats up

PS. with the car on the leven ground and in neutral thy to shift gears while someone gently rocks the car back and forth... see if anything changes let me know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.