Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Auto gear box issues, no power

767 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  keyhole 
#1 ·
My wifes C 180 sometimes seems to behave strangely when pulling away as if there is not enough power with high revs. On rare occasion sometimes there is no gear engaged and the car just revs as if in neautral, you need to stop the car to get it to behave again??

Can anyone give some advise on things I can check for the auto transmission, filters perhaps?

#2 ·
It sounds like it might be in limp mode. This could be cause by low fluid, or another problem, like a bad electronic part. You'll need codes pulled fromt he TCU for a proper diagnosis.

#3 ·
I dont think its limp mode as i've experienced this before and the car will only drive very slowly. There are no codes on the ECU

#5 ·
If the fluid is very low, then if parked on a slope it may not drive away as no pump operation, if the fluid is very low, then do check the pilot bush on the side of the gearbox. You can get a dip sick from Ebay or make one using curtain wire. with the engine at over 80c and the car in P the fluid should be 6.5cm up a genuine stick or 7.2cm with curtain wire or most Ebay dip sticks.

Reactions: Hutcho85
#8 ·
What is the mileage, and when was the last time there was an ATF/filter change?
Thanks guys for the info.

The car is parked on a slope. I bought a dip stick and drove the car to get it to operating temp, turns out there was very little oil in the gearbox, so I've topped it up and it seems to be running nice again.

Mileage is about 110K so will look into filter change.

PS I also changed a front upper suspension arm and boy the design is terrible !! I cant believe you need to remove the front coil support and anti roll bar support to get to the bolts ! crazy. Anyway got it fitted and changed the engine oil too so the car feels great.

Thanks for the help

#7 ·
I don't know if this info is also applicable for the M111 engine in your C180.....
I read in the WIS: (for engine M271)

"If the signal from the Crankshaft Position Sensor (L5) is missing, then the signal from the Hall sensor on the intake camshaft or the exhaust camshaft is used as a substitute for a LIMP HOME"

So could you have an intermittent CPS?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.