Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Cant clear charging system error

660 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  television 
#1 ·
As a new member I dont know if a thread on this problem has been posted.
4 Months ago the alternator's regulator went faulty on my 2005 model 220 cdi w203 chassis
The local auto electrician replaced it and the alternator is fine now, charging at 14 volts dc measured on my fluke digital meter.(checked with another meter) When switched of I measure about 13.6 The auto electrician could not reset the following message: Battery visit workshop
I took the car to a garage and the diagnostics report the charging voltage as 11.4
according to the mechanic I need to replace the alternator which doesnt make sense
Why the discrepancy between the diagnostics and my meter reading(2 meters) Not once did i have any problems with starting or whatsoever
Please advice

Chrisisryk@gmail.com

#2 ·
Your car has an on-board voltmeter. To call it up on the MFD (display panel on the instrument cluster), do this:

1. With the engine off, insert the key and turn it to position 1 (accessory).
2. Use the steering wheel menu control to select the odometer display on the MFD.
3. Triple-tap the reset stalk (basically three taps within one second).
4. The MFD should now display the voltage.
5. Turn the key to position 2 and then start.
6. Monitor the voltage during rest, cranking, and running.

If the on-board voltage reading differs significantly from your hand-held meter directly at the battery, then you have some wiring issues, maybe a weak ground. If not, then watch for fluctuations in voltage as you drive. You should not see large swings, up or down.

#3 ·
The on board voltmeter will under rear, but not by enough to be concerned over, as long as around 13.8 its fine, is the message still there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.