BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: 2001 C240, 1984 300D
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ESP Error - C1142

Well, I finally built a system for reading diagnostic codes to track down my intermittent ESP errors. I cleared a bunch of old, stored codes which I don't think were helpful and drove until the error came back.

Scanned and got C1142 - Lateral acceleration sensor or micro mechanical turn rate and steering angle sensor. Open circuit, short circuit, voltage supply, plausibility. Verify tension at lateral acceleration sensor - ignition on 4.75 - 5.25 volts.

I cleaned the contacts on the sensor connector and tried again - same result.

With the car parked in the garage the ESP live data shows a good steering angle but the lateral acceleration shows about -140m/s2 while sitting still. Unfortunately I'm using a desktop system in my garage so I can't actually drive and capture more results.

From this I think it's safe to say I need a new lateral acceleration sensor.

But how does one check the voltage on that? Do you just pull the harness and measure between the pins? Which pins should have 5 volts? Or does sensor need to be connected with something special so you can measure the voltage while the connector is on the sensor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 06:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
The official procedure is to connect the diagnostic socket box to the engine bay wiring harness. Here's what you need:

Auto Parts - Parts.com, For Every Part of Your Life

Of course I am guessing you aren't going to buy that, so as an alternate, you test the voltage but you have to do it with the wiring harness in place, so you need to slide small probed into the connector at the sensor. My guess is that's it's just a bad sensor.

--

- RODNEY
#3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
I think you're right. I'd love to have a tool like that but I won't be buying one at the moment.

I hate to throw parts at a problem when there are still tests that could be done but in this case I think the sensor is very likely the problem.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 08:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Definitely don't throw parts at this one:

Auto Parts - Parts.com, For Every Part of Your Life

Yikes! Almost $500 discounted!

--

- RODNEY
#5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 04:44 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 2006 c230
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go ahead and change the lateral acceleration sensor, most esp problems are related to that sensor. I'm sure you know it's mounted in the trunk behind the rear seat under a plastic panel. Got mine off ebay for 100.00 brand new, don't buy used!
#6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 07:12 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
My local self-service salvage yards almost never have any Mercedes, but I checked the recent arrivals on their web site and to my surprise they had a ML 320. I went to check it out at lunch and it had been there three weeks and the interior was pretty well stripped, but I dug around under the foam in the center console and found these:

Even better, they don't seem to have any category for ESP sensors, I guess since most of their cars are 10 to 15 year old domestics and things like Honda Civics where ESP wasn't common. So when they don't have a category for it they charge "Sensor, Misc - $3.99 each". So I paid $7.98 for both the yaw and lateral acceleration sensors.

I installed the lateral acceleration sensor and I've done three short trips and it seems to have shut up the ESP error. Yay. So far.

So it looks like I may have a spare yaw sensor now.

Last edited by 300DFan; 10-15-2013 at 08:51 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 2001 C320 W203
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Really cheap! It should be around $100+ for a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300DFan View Post
My local self-service salvage yards almost never have any Mercedes, but I checked the recent arrivals on their web site and to my surprise they had a ML 320. I wend to check it out at lunch and it had been there three weeks and the interior was pretty well stripped, but I dug around under the foam in the central console and found these:

Even better, they don't seem to have any category for ESP sensors, I guess since most of their cars are 10 to 15 year old domestics and things like Honda Civics where ESP wasn't common. So when they don't have a category for it they charge "Sensor, Misc - $3.99 each". So I paid $7.98 for both the yaw and lateral acceleration sensors.

I installed the lateral acceleration sensor and I've done three short trips and it seems to have shut up the ESP error. Yay. So far.

So it looks like I may have a spare yaw sensor now.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 10:37 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2whf View Post
Really cheap! It should be around $100+ for a new one.
Those two sensors are over $600 for the two of them new. I'd guess these yards will update their prices eventually, but for now that's the place to get these parts if you're lucky enough to find them.

And ESP errors seems to be gone. That's been an irritating error that came on only rarely a year ago, but started appearing nearly constantly recently. Seems to be fixed for now. I wish I could fix more things like this for $3.99.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.