I want to install an aftermarket 10" sub in my 03' C230 with factory deck - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 04:40 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I want to install an aftermarket 10" sub in my 03' C230 with factory deck

I have a 2003 C230 Kompressor sedan. I have a stock stereo with cassette tape and factory sub in the rear deck.

I already have my cassette iPod adapter and play my music from my iPhone. So now I want to put an aftermarket 10" subwoofer box in the trunk.

Here's what the stereo looks like http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/eu...0531_radio.png

My knowledge:

- Get a line out converter to connect to the factory speaker wire or factory sub wire to have a RCA input for the aftermarket amp.

- Remote wire for the aftermarket amp can be tapped into the rear fuse box

My questions:

- Can I connect the line out converter wire to the factory sub wire?
- Which fuse do I connect/tap the remote wire to?
- Do I disable the factory subwoofer once the aftermarket sub is installed?
- Disconnecting the battery before doing this makes me nervous because, I read that when you disconnect the battery you get some faulty on the dash, and windows, lock, moonroof malfunctions, etc....Is this true?

TIA!

Last edited by J_STATUS; 08-16-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
- Can I connect the line out converter wire to the factory sub wire?
My advice is to buy an amp that has high-level inputs so you don;t need an adapter. I used this amp: Pyramid PB449X Super Blue 2x125W Amplifier 265-089 (though it has the inputs, I did not use them as I am running it off the low-level sub output from my Pioneer AVIC head unit). Disconnect the wiring from the factory sub (abandon that speaker, then run it into the high-level input on the new amp.

Quote:
- Which fuse do I connect/tap the remote wire to?
There should be several 12v switched outputs on the rear SAM fuse panel. I can't recall offhand which to use, but there may even be one or two unused, empty slots. I recommend using one of these (most auto parts stores sell them):

Quote:
- Do I disable the factory subwoofer once the aftermarket sub is installed?
I would. It isn't a great speaker and not much power to it.

Quote:
- Disconnecting the battery before doing this makes me nervous because, I read that
when you disconnect the battery you get some faulty on the dash, and windows, lock, moonroof malfunctions, etc....Is this true?
I recommend disconnecting the vehicle battery when doing electrical work, especially around the SAMs. Yes, you may need to reset the auto-close windows and sunroof and the steering angle sensor. This is all very easy - just open each glass halfway, the press and hold the button in the full close position for an extra few seconds. To reset the steering angle sensor, start the engine and while in park, turn the steering wheel fully lock-to-lock three times. I believe this is all outlined in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, download a free PDF copy at MBUSA.com in the "Owner's" section.

--

- RODNEY

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class