ABS,BAS Light on after wheel bearing change - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 2002 W203 C230 Coupe
ABS,BAS Light on after wheel bearing change

I changed my Wheel bearing on the passenger side front of my 02 c230 coupe last weekend and soon as I dropped the car down and started it up the ABS light came on along with BAS. I did not even come close to touching the wheel speed sensor. I did some research on this topic before I posted but I did not find much. Some people are saying that the aftermarket seals do not come with magnets in them to do a proper reading on the abs sensor. Some people are saying just unplug the battery for a few minutes, then plug it back in and do a wheel senor calibration (left, right left). I have herd bad things can happen when you unplug the Battery. So is there a solid fix for this that has truly worked for someone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Algertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2011
nothign bad will happen if you disconnect battery. you may have to get the windows to relearn how to open/close all the way (easy to do and directions can be found with search here).
Old 05-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
There are two components to the wheel speed sensor - the pulse ring (the rotating part) and the Hall Effect sensor (the stationary, electrical part). The pulse ring is part of the seal that holds grease inside the hub (part 9 in the diagram):

http://benzbits.com/w209/FrontWheelHub.pdf

- RODNEY
rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 2002 W203 C230 Coupe
Tried last night unplugging the battery, then I calibrated the steering. Nothing changed. Is there a certian clearence that this rear seal has to have? I did get an OEM part from benz so it should be the right seal. I did notice that everytime I start it up and start driving the ABS light is off, and as soon as I hit the break the ABS activates for a few sec then the light comes on. then the dash will flash ABS,ESP,BAS not working.
Algertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2002 C240
I had the same issue after changing my front wheel bearing. In my case, I put too much bearing grease and it got onto the speed sensor.

I took the wheel off, took speed sensor off and found some grease on its tip. Wiped it off and wiped off the hole with a cue tip.
i5mast is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class