#1 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can the odometer get reset to zero?

Hello, this is my first posting on this site. I'm a car guy but haven't messed around with Mercedes much. I went and looked today at buying a 04 C230 kompressor. The owner has not had the car very long, so he doesnt really know much about it. The other day a guy that was interested in buying the car hooked up his scanner/computer to the car and ever since then he said the odometer reset to 0. So now the car reads around 200 miles. I didn't really mess around with to much but basically the guy is getting rid of the car really cheap because of this. I didnt think there is any way you can reset the odometer back to zero? Im going back in the morning to "drive the car" but really I'm going to see if its just in the wrong setting? I dont really want to say anything because then l wont get a deal on it. Ive read that it may be in trip mode or something. I did notice it looks like there is only place for 4 digits on the screen so the mileage could only go to 9999 miles. Can anyone help me out here. Basically before I buy it I want to be able to see the odometer. Like I stated earlier I dont know much about Mercedes. How do you get the odometer back on the dash? Thanks much guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 87 MB 420SEL, 01 BMW 330i, 04 GMC Yukon XL, 05 MB C230, 08 MB C350 Sport
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My guess is that you were looking at the trip meter.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2011
the menu buttons on left side of steering wheel scroll through the menus. I doubt this guy reset the odo to 0.

2005 C230 kompressor sport, 6-speed manual
1982 Porsche 911 SC
#4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I do know that the trip had more miles on it than this reading was which was weird. Is anyone familiar with this model?
#5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I sure wish it was that easy to zero the miles on the odometer! Our C240 cluster died, and instead of spending $2K at the dealer, I replaced with a used part. Since the used cluster's mileage didn't match the EIS's mileage, I now get "------" for the odometer. If I could zero the cluster, I could "remarry" the odometer to the EIS, but I can't find a way to do that. In this case, I'll be the guy doesn't know the difference between the trip odometer and the actual vehicle odometer. On the pre-facelift W203, the vehicle odometer is not always displayed - you must navigate through the menus on the MFD to see it.

--

- RODNEY
#6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 01:16 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: 2001 C240, 1984 300D
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wait, are you saying that even if the cluster died the car's actual mileage is still stored in the EIS? But to get this super-secret info displayed on a replacement part is you need to pay a dealer $2k?

Where is the logic in that? If the car's actual mileage is still known wouldn't it be more sensible to display that rather than "------"? I have to say I don't see how that makes any sense at all.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 04:25 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Come to find out the cluster has been replaced. Doesnt make sense to me either. You would think the EIS would just tell the cluster what mileage to show no matter what cluster is installed.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Well, as long as the trip odometer and service indicator work I'm not sure I'd care much about the actual mileage on an 8 to 10 year old car. I certainly wouldn't pay $2k to fix mine if it failed.

It wouldn't surprise me if some places required it to pass inspection, though.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 06:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Yes, the mileage is stored redundantly, both in the cluster and the EIS, and if either one is replaced with a non-virgin part, so that the mileage is mismatched, you get "------" on the display. And since you asked, here's the logic, which is intended to prevent odometer tampering: There would be no point in storing it redundantly if all you had to do to roll-back the odometer is to replace one part with a used on from a lower-mileage car. If it requires a brand new, virgin part to be able to copy the mileage from the existing part, and you can only get that at the dealer, then it pretty much prevents odometer tampering, at least from the standpoint of the average person trying to do it. Yes, there are devices like the Engima that can do it, but the price of that equipment is usually not worth the small financial benefit of a lower-mileage car.

--

- RODNEY
#10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 06:36 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

I understand steps have to be taken to prevent odometer tampering due to the widespread fraud in the past. But if someone has gone to the trouble to swap in an EIS from a low mileage wreck it strikes me as being easy enough to move the instrument cluster with it.

Isn't it already almost impossible to move an EIS from one vehicle to another?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class