Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: Chrysler Crossfire
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New to Merc

Hello everyone
I'm gonna get this thread to the point, I currently drive a Chrysler Crossfire, great car so far pretty reliable but being a two seat coupe I need more room for a baby that's on the way , my fiance hasn't given birth yet but in 8 months I'll need a 4seat car

I've searched Google and I've read the c230 till 2004 was sub par on reliability and the 06 has trans issues which are expensive but the model I'm looking to buy is the 2005 c230k sport , I was just wondering a few things
How reliable are they ?
How well is the gas mileage ?
Are they mod friendly ?
Is there a lot of support out there for performance mods?
(There certainly isn't for my crossfire)
Thanks in advance guys , if It's possible could someone link to maybe a common problems thread if there is one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Actually, the pre-MY2005 facelift models are fine for the most part. About the only real problem I can think of that would make a difference is the LCD panel in the older instrument cluster dying from heat where the facelift version seems to have that problem solved. There really aren't a lot of performance mods for these cars in terms of engine upgrades, but there are plenty of aftermarket "dress up" parts. For MPG, the best choice is the C230 Kompressor, and that will likely be the easiest model to find.

Not only are there potential transmission problems with MY2006, that's when they switched to the new M272 V6 engines, and the early versions of those can have bad balance shafts (search the forum for "balance shaft" and you'll see).

As for overall reliability, my advice is this: There are two types of people who should own a used MBZ - the one who is a skilled DIYer and can tackle most any repair, or the one who does not mind shelling out thousands of dollars every year for various repairs and maintenance. These are complex cars that will last a long time, but do require more TLC than the average Toyota or Honda. Actually, your Crossfire was a Chrysler-bodied version of the former SLK model, which was based on the former (W202) C-Class. If you ever did any work on it, then you'll find some familiar things in the W203.

--

- RODNEY
#3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you Rodney for the response
I was actually thinking because the c230k is boosted that would mean more engine performance mods
Out there because honestly 189bhp is slow for today's average car
Honestly the only model I'm looking at is 2005 c230k sport and me personally I do have some knowledge of engines (that's what I was in college for) so DIYing is more than capable for me
And yes I knew my crossfire was based off an slk I didn't know what engine though but thanks for telling me , I actually wanted to read threads over there if I can find something useful haha

Back to mods though , are there any tuning companies that can modify the ecu to get more boost ?
#4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2011
there is a pulley kit which will spin the blower faster (which will reduce blower life a little) to increase boost. it costs around $700 IIRC. the engine is well designed (air to air intercooler, cold air intake, uses premium fuel so you don't have to retard timing too much). anyone claiming to add a lot of power by tuning the ecu is probably full o' crap.

2005 C230 kompressor sport, 6-speed manual
1982 Porsche 911 SC
#5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 2003 C320 Sport Coupe - 2002 CLK320 Cabriolet - 2012 E350 Cabriolet
Jackerman, I'd look for a C-class without a supercharger. They tend to die out at roughly 140-180km (90 - 115 miles). Keep an eye out for a C320. The V6's in that 3.2L are pretty dandy in my opinion. Very strong motors. The only thing you'd have to look out for is the Valeo radiator issue (pre-2004), in which the radiator leaks coolant and could become a problem under the hood. This is how you can check to see if your car has the Valeo radiator vs the Behr radiator.
The C240, however, is very reliable. It's slow, its a gas burner, but that thing won't die if you toss it off a 500 ft cliff.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Although superchargers are living on borrowed time after 100K miles or so, the one on the C230 isn't terribly expensive (or difficult) to replace. In fact, the catalytic converter system (also on borrowed time after 100K) is more expensive to replace on the V6 engines than the I4's supercharger. Really, any car with over 100K is going to start needing some maintenance. The good news is that RWD W203's are for the most part, really easy to work on.

--

- RODNEY
#7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alswag View Post
Jackerman, I'd look for a C-class without a supercharger. They tend to die out at roughly 140-180km (90 - 115 miles). Keep an eye out for a C320. The V6's in that 3.2L are pretty dandy in my opinion. Very strong motors. The only thing you'd have to look out for is the Valeo radiator issue (pre-2004), in which the radiator leaks coolant and could become a problem under the hood. This is how you can check to see if your car has the Valeo radiator vs the Behr radiator.
The C240, however, is very reliable. It's slow, its a gas burner, but that thing won't die if you toss it off a 500 ft cliff.
Lmao , a 500ft cliff ? Hahaha that reminds of that episode of top gear where they couldnt destroy the toyota pick up haha

But thanks to all for the responses , Ive seen lots of c320's on cars.com in my area but then i read something on here about trans issues and that kind of put me off , I would like something that needed a trans fluid flush every 10-20k and i would be fine
But either way thank you guys I've still got 8 months for the misses and I to decide what the plan is
#8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:41 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumicat View Post
there is a pulley kit which will spin the blower faster (which will reduce blower life a little) to increase boost. it costs around $700 IIRC. the engine is well designed (air to air intercooler, cold air intake, uses premium fuel so you don't have to retard timing too much). anyone claiming to add a lot of power by tuning the ecu is probably full o' crap.
I know of eurocharged they offer tunes for my crossfire , BMWs and Mercedes-Benz , apparently you can get about 10-20 HP gains which imo is better than nothing
#9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 2005 c230 kompressor 2003 s500 94 wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackerman View Post
I know of eurocharged they offer tunes for my crossfire , BMWs and Mercedes-Benz , apparently you can get about 10-20 HP gains which imo is better than nothing
where u live in chicago? burbs?

if your going to buy 1 with 100k miles then forget it..unless u have 500 to drop randomly to fix it..save ur money for your child

performance mods...kleeman exhaust header and eurocharged tune

header claims 20 hp and 20 torque. eurocharged claims 20 and 20

add them both together and u have power

people have done before and after and gained this
#10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy567 View Post
where u live in chicago? burbs?

if your going to buy 1 with 100k miles then forget it..unless u have 500 to drop randomly to fix it.
I would never buy a car with or near 100k , the highest I look for is 85k tops but even then the price must be exceptional , I'm wondering Why your saying that though ?

But thanks for the advice of all of you , I'll prolly consider the v6 next month I may be doing test drives to see how I like it

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class