#1 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 10:06 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Handbrake Adjustment

Hi all....just wondering , is it difficult to adjust the handbrake (which is activated by foot) on a W203. It engages properly , , but won't disengage completely , leaving the handbrake indicator light on on the dash. It will release when pulled back by foot , but is hypersensitive...any help appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Hi kieran, to do it properly you will have to take off both rear wheels, and then locate the adjusting wheel for the shoes.
On the right hand side it will be at about the 9 - 10 o'clock position, and on the left at about 2 - 3 o'clock, in other words opposite to where the cable enters the backplate.
You will need to slacken them right back.
Next is to remove your rear seat base, or tilt them forward if a coupe.
Under the insulation is a panel with 2 8mm screws and a 13mm nut, take these out and remove the panel, the handbrake cable adjuster is just there. Slacken off the 13mm nut on the cable.
More then likely it will,be partially siezed so give it a good lube while pressing the park brake, hold the release handle at the same time to make it easier.
Once it's nice and free you can readjust the shoes in the discs, then adjust the cable.

Chances are though if you can spray lube on the adjuster from underneath and work it in, it should be ok, certainly enough to take the light out, which is a lot less hassle
#3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 02:40 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2012
(Thread Starter)
Handbrake Adjustment

Thanks !......I am having my mechanic look at it this week as it needs an NCT..(MOT). Fingers crossed he can solve the problem and I can give him the advice you just have given me to help out
#4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 12:11 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed!
I just adjusted my brakes, and the pedal still will not return all the way to the top. I was hoping on finding a solution, but finding someone with the same problem makes me want to look deeper into the issue myself. I was thinking it was maybe a spring in the pedal mechanism that helps the pedal return. I guess will find out shortly.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 02:52 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: w203 c320 avantgarde auto saloon
U can adjust linkage from under the rear seat. Lift the rear seat,u will see metal plate. Take 4 screws off. After u have removed it u will see mechanism. Spray some lubricant wd-40 will do the job. Adjust screw/nut then check pedal and handle. Repeat adjustment until works correctly.best adjust is when as far as I remember u hit pedal by your foot and u should hear 6-7 clicks.
Make sure u did not overtighten linkage.
I had same problem in my merc.I had to pull that handle sometimes even 15 times before iligght on dash gone.now only once but over winter I have to do it 2-3 times.however handbrake does it job and pass MOT without issue.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1999 E300TD
very common issue is the cables popping off under the rear seat where the adjustment is made. The 2 cables that go to the rear wheels attach at the linkage under the seat. Usually, one of the cables will pop off and cause these symptoms, check this first

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class