BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Aftermarket Radio

Hello,

I am currently looking to upgrade my Audio 20 on my W203 C180K Sport Edition. I have told that Mercedes does not have anything especially for W203 which would support BT, USB, SD Card etc. Is this correct? If i can't find anything from Mercedes which would be the best option for my car?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Go with an aftermarket option. There are many great choices from the major electronics brands - Pioneer, Kenwood, etc. Your W203 can accommodate a double-DIN head unit. Make sure you don't have the Bose option. If not, then you can pretty much install what you want plug-and-play as wiring harness adapters and faceplates are readily available. If you do have Bose, that complicates things because there the speakers are special 2ohm models driven from a trunk-mounted amp. That amp is fed via fiber optic from the head unit. You have to replace the speakers, and then run wiring to bypass the Bose amp.

--

- RODNEY
#3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 2002 C320 wagon 1987 560sel 1997 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had an aftermarket 7" in-dash pioneer system put in. He didn't have to replace the speakers, but it did cost a bit (aside from the stereo unit). I had the fiber optic system, the sub in the back is useless now.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
#4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzmercedes1 View Post
I had an aftermarket 7" in-dash pioneer system put in. He didn't have to replace the speakers, but it did cost a bit (aside from the stereo unit). I had the fiber optic system, the sub in the back is useless now.
All W203's have fiber optic - it's used for the CD changer, TeleAid and cell phone interfaces. But only if you have the optional Bose system does you car also use that fiber network to send audio output from the factory head unit to the Bose amp in the trunk. And in that case, it does not have any analog audio wiring in the dash.

To install an aftermarket system, the installer will have to run wires from the dash to the trunk where the Bose amp is then bypassed. If using the new head unit's built-in amp, then you run speaker-level wires and tie them directly to the speaker wires coming out of the Bose amp (disconnecting them from the Bose amp, of course). If using a new external amp, then most installers will put it in place of the Bose amp, and run low-level wire from the new head unit to the new amp in the trunk. The new amp's speaker outputs are tied then to the speaker output wiring from the removed Bose amp.

The problem with the Bose speakers is that they are 2ohm impedance which is usually not compatible with aftermarket systems; it will cause their amps to overheat and fail. Not only that, the Bose speakers generally sound terrible without using the proprietary equalization circuits built-in to their amp.

If you did not have the Bose system, then the amp was built-in to the factory radio head unit and there are high-level speaker level wires in the dash harness (direct wiring to the speakers). The factory speakers are fairly decent 4ohm models (although prone to dry rot). There are built-in bass blockers for the sail panel tweeters and bandpass filters for the door speakers, routing most of the bass to a passive subwoofer in the rear hat shelf.

In my kid's C240, I installed a Pioneer Avic 7010 model using it's built-in 25w x 4 amp to power the door speakers. Originally, that was the factory non-Bose speakers, and they sounded great, but dry rot won out. I replaced them with Pioneer mid-grade speakers and we really lost a lot of bass response compared to the factory models. So I added a 12" Pioneer subwoofer driven by a 500W RMS/1000w max Pyramid amp in the trunk. I had to run one low-level speaker wire from the head unit to the trunk to use the built-in subwoofer crossover of the Avic. It sounds great, and the kid is happy (though sometimes making too much boom-boom coming through the neighborhood). Total investment is still under $1,000.

--

- RODNEY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.