Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

XM Radio Hardwire Install

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ironman82 
#1 ·
Just finished this project up this weekend. Had an external XM Radio using the cigaret lighter and FM modulator. Bought the hardwire kit on ebay for $18 and tapped into the switched cigaret lighter wire. I also bought a wired FM modulator and hooked it up through the antena. Sound quality is much better and no messy wires!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Why are you using FM modulator when you could use the AUX? Yes, you need a wire for that, but still. Sound quality is pretty much unbeatable.

Also, I'd be interested in seeing what kind of bracket you use to hold the Inno. I've been trying figure how to install the Inno in my daughter's 05 C230, but haven't really come up with anything yet. Looked at the same spot where yours is, but didn't think it would work. But looking at yours it doesn't look too bad.

Hence it is still in the glovebox and changing the channel is bit of a chore. Especially since the remote doesn't work through the glovebox door.

#3 ·
Yes - this was a big flaw on my part - I didn't know I could tap into the AUX input, I thought it was for a factory CD changer. I had to buy the modulator and adapters to hook into the antena so it probably would have been cheaper to go the AUX route. Plus - if I want to listen to other FM stations, I have to shut the XM off. I'm using the mount from the Inno car kit - it sticks on to the dash and has clearance from the globe box. Here's a link...

XM Radio Dash Mount,Skyfi 3,2,Inno,Xpress,R,RC,EZ,Helix | eBay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.