Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2003 C230K - New Key and Aux

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  CodeBlue 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have 2 questions and I've searched around the internet for a while now and I can't find a straight answer. I'll be very grateful if you can please help me out

1) So, I own a 2003 C230 Kompressor. I am using a cracked plastic smart key case that came with the car and I'm looking into getting a new key, especially the nice chrome looking ones, and I know that they are very pricey at the dealership and some of them vary prices, but I read somewhere that I can just buy the blank chrome key case online, open up the old plastic key, remove the chip, and insert the chip into the new chrome key case. Is this true? If so, which one should I buy? Because there seems to be different kinds out chrome cases out there.

2) My C230 has the regular stereo with a tape player and CD changer in the glove box. I don't use the CD changer and I have issues of getting it to play my burned CD's. So I'd rather connect my HTC phone with an AUX cable to the car and I know that they sell kits where I can remove the CD changer and replace it with a wire that will give me an AUX connection. Can I get this at the dealership or do I have to purchase it somewhere online?

Thanks in advance for the help and happy holidays!

See less See more
#2 ·
1) Changing the old guts to new case should work fine. I'm pretty sure there's instructions somewhere here, too.

2) I'm definitely no expert on this one, but I'm sure others will correct me if/when I'm wrong. No need to go to a dealer for the AUX kit. At least DICE sells an integration kit. I think it's 400-something bucks, but I'm pretty sure it's still cheaper than at the dealer. Luckily mine is 05 and it only cost about 50 bucks for the cable. :cool:

If you use the search function here, I'm pretty sure you'll find even more info.

#3 · (Edited)
You cannot, put the old key internals into a newer style key. However, you can take the internals and put it into the same style key.

There is NO aux kit for the pre 05 cars. You can either modify the original head unit to accept an aux input, but you will lose tape functionality, or buy a command unit with aux input.

There are media players that replace the CD changer, but I've not seen a aux in to replace the CD changer.

The CD changer shuld have no issues reading CDRs. Try cleaning the head. I only hae CDRs in my changer as I don't like to keep my originals in my car.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just have to visit the dealership and get the pricey chrome key :(

I'm interested in modifying the head unit because I never use the tape player. I don't even have tapes, so is there a tutorial somewhere online where I can lose the functionality of the tape player and get it to accept AUX?

Also I tried cleaning the CD changer, for some odd reason it plays store bought CD's instead of burned CD's....I tried burning it as an audio CD and mp3 CD in iTunes in different speeds and they never work...

Thanks again for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.