Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ball park price for suspension work

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  remac 
#1 ·
Hi all; I have a 2002 c240 with 110,000. miles. I really enjoy the car, but it's getting time for suspension work; I guess this is "normal" on an almost 10 year old car w/ 110,000 miles. Anyway, from my understanding, it appears that it needs Sway Bar Bushings, uplinks, and thrust arms. Anyone know what a ball park figure on this for parts and labor should run? I appreciate your insight.

#3 ·
If you're doing all that work and keeping the car, I'd do shocks/struts also. I think $2k is a good ballpark for parts/labor. I would go to an independent German car mechanic rather than dealer because of lower rates.

#6 ·
Hi All,

So, I'm very lucky to have a mercedes mechanic as a neighbor; he actually works at the dealer. Problem is, he is always so busy, it's hard schedule stuff with him. Luckily, is available to work on it in about a week. He looked at it and said it needed the following parts below. He is getting the parts and is charging 250 in labor. Just curious what this would cost at the actual dealer. He has done good work for me before and has been very reasonable. So, it looks like w/ parts (mercedes parts) and labor from him, it will run about 950. Any thoughts?

Front Thrust arms ( both) 362
Front Thrust Arm Bushings (Both) 108

Sway Bar End Links (Both) 154
Sway Bar Bushings (Both) 29
Sway Bar Dust Cups (Both) 40

#7 ·
Sounds like you're getting a good deal on the labor. The prices for the the parts seem a little high, but that's probably MB pricing. You should check and compare prices from some of the sponsors on this forum (rmeuropean.com & autopartsway.com). You can purchase parts that are from OE suppliers for less $$ & free shipping. Their description for the same parts: Front thrust arms = front upper & lower "control arms"
Thrust arm bushing = control arm bushing. I would suggest using Lemfoerder or TRW parts (OE supplier) if ordering from them. I just ordered some upper control arms from from one of them. They are clearing out one of the above mentioned brands at a great price. Check them out and good luck!

#8 ·
Do it yourself! Just did sway bar bushings and end links it cost me $65.00 including tax for the parts. Before you do the control (thrust arms) check the bushings. Mine has 130k on it and all of them were fine. If I had replaced the thrust arms and bushings they were $89.00 each with the bushings already installed. $2k is ridiculous to spend. If you have any mechanical ability then you can do all of the work for a few hundred dollars in parts including new bilstein front struts. Might want to have the alignment checked after the thrust arms and struts.

#9 ·
Good advice! The only thing is if you get into the strut system, unless you intend to replace the entire strut assembly, then you need a spring compressor and you need to know how to safely use it. Also, if you so anything besides sway bar bushings and its end links, then you will need to have an alignment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.