Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Front brake Piston won't compress

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Kerry Newman 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 C240 and I am trying to replace my front brakes. Well in the process of trying to compress the piston in order to insert the new pads it would not compress. I have tried bleeding the brake fluid as well as tried to use a c clamp, but neither has worked. What are my options in compressing the piston/caliper.

#4 ·
I also have a 2002 C240 and the piston should compress easily. I usually start it with a screwdriver between the caliper and the back of the pad, then finish with a C-clamp - with no need to open the bleeder. It sounds like you have a frozen caliper. A new one will run you $280 on parts.com. You might check local parts tores and see if you can find an aftermarket or rebuild part for less. Of course if you are so inclined, you might e able to find the seals to rebuild it yourself.

#5 ·
I have not done a brake job on either of my MBs but I know from experience that on some Jap cars, the piston does not go straight into the caliper, you have to twist it in. Grab the piston with some pliers and see if you can turn it, counter clockwise I would guess ... just a thought. cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.