Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Buying Advise - 04 C230 Kompressor

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  rudeney 
#1 ·
I'm looking at an 04 C230 Kompressor with 100k. Drove it today and drove fine. I did notice a film of thick cream under the oil fill cap but the coolant looked very clean (and clear). The owner says its the wife's car and she mainly drives short distances (within 1-2 miles) 85% of the time. So, I'm thinking that its due to that.

Noticed it had no dipstick for engine oil and tranny but had the tubes going to each with caps. Is everything monitored by readout?

Any thoughts and advise on this model? Thanks.

#2 ·
No dipstick for tranny and oil. Dash readout will tell you the oil level, but no tranny info. Take the car to a dealer or a good indy to have it checked out. The "cream" on the oil cap might be something to seriously look at. The only time oil turns white is when it gets mixed with other fluids.

#3 ·
I wouldn't worry about the cream on the oil filler - it just needs some good highway miles. I used to see that all the time on car sitting on the lot when I worked at the dealership. My big problem would be a supercharger with 100K miles. Blown engines at 6-figure mileage are living on borrowed time.

#5 ·
thanks for the feedback.... I do like the car. I plan to bring it to an Indy tomorrow. I got some feedback from the 'other' forum that the M271 engines are no good due to weak timing chain, vvt, etc. And supposedly they are not true MB engines as they are a collaboration of MB, Mitsubishi and Hyundai. Any thoughts about this?

#6 ·
There was some collaboration (MBZ has had ownership in both Mitsubishi and Hyundai). By the M271 was developed for specifically one reason - to create a smaller engine to avoid taxes. Just like the gas guzzler taxes in the USA, some countries impose high taxes on engines over 2.0 liters, so the M271 was the solution.

#8 ·
MY2005 introduced the interior facelift with more modern looking controls and new bus systems for the vehicle including a more sophisticated CAN system, and MOST instead of D2B fiber optic for the audio. All C230's are the "sport" model with AMG-inspired stylings. The true AMG model would be the C55 AMG, and that would be nice, too, but it's about twice the price of a comparable C230 Kompressor. 2006 is when they switched from the 1.8l I4 supercharged engine to the M271 V6 in 2.5l size. Overall, it's not a bad engine except for the dreaded balance shaft issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.