Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Replace headlight bulb

29K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  73u086 
#1 ·
I am trying to replace a low beam bulb. I got as far as getting the cover off and the wires disconnected. Now I can't for the life of me figure how to release the clips to get the bulb socket out. Anyone can help?
Thanks,

#2 ·
There's a metal spring clip holding the bulb in place. You have to squeeze the side of it together and then swing it out of the way. This photo I found might help you better see what you are working with:

#4 ·
Well, I got it done. For anyone who wants to know, you have to push the top of spring clip forward, towards the bumper, to release it, then to the right (passenger side), then towards the firewall. It pivots open and the bulb can be pulled out. There is a small tab on the bulb that may need to be oriented a certain way to get it back in. Either way, I got the bulb in and confirmed lights are working.

#5 ·
That's about the best description I've heard of how to maneuver that clip! I can't explain it, but I can do it by touch. Proper orientation of the bulb is critical. If it isn't inserted correctly, the base will not sit flush and your beam pattern will be distorted.

#8 ·
Well, I had the bulb in, turned on the lights, and it was pointing at the sky! Took it all out and spent some time trying to figure how it goes. Looks like the little tab on the bulb is to the top. Now, of course, I have 2 different lights, the new one being whiter then the old. Looks like another change. New bulb is H7, 70 watts.

#9 ·
I have just learned to replace the bulbs in pairs. It prevents the problem with different colors, and if I don't replace them together, I can count on the other bulb failing within a few weeks.

Just an FYI, you should be using a 55W H7 bulb. The 70W may get too hot and melt the housing. Some people report problems, but other don't.

#11 ·
I just got the Low Beam out on the passenger side and need to change for the first time. One question in reading this, do you just snake your hand in the engine and take the back cap off the housing to undo the bulb, or do you remove the whole lighting unit? On my SAAB there was enough room to just stick hand in the enging and pull out the bulb.
And best bulb is 55w H7 3200k? Any recco on brand?
thx

#12 ·
Yes, you get your hand in there, it's not that hard, and remove the socket cover. Don't forget, low beam will be the outboard one. It has a plastic clip you squeeze and it pulls out. Once the metal spring on the socket is loosened it just pulls out if I recall correctly. The bulb is just pulled straight out from the socket. Mine took quite a bit of force. Of course you don't want to break it. I have pics of the bulb holder with the metal spring if anyone needs to see what it looks like.

#14 ·
strange, I was able to pull off the yellow and brown wire plug, but instead of the clip, I have a black outer ring that looks like its screwed in two two torx screws. Now I have to find a screwdriver that is the right size, and not too long. Am I overlooking something?

#18 · (Edited)
I have to correct myself and give proper credit to Rudeney. The spring holding the bulb holder is in fact held in 2 places and somehow you have to squeeze it together in order to release it. You can see how the spring is set in there in the pics in post#13 above. It's the squeezing that is the hard part!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.