Recurrent Code P0022 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 1996 Mercedes Benz c220 ;1998 Toyota Corolla ;2006 Mercedes Benz c230; 2012 Audi A3 TDI
Send a message via MSN to Mahendra Send a message via Skype™ to Mahendra
Unhappy Recurrent Code P0022

Hello everyone,
my 2006 c230 has been having the check engine light on for a period of about three days and then it would go off again. Then after another three it would come on again and so on. With the scanner, I pulled the same code all the time. P0022, which is the bank 2 camshaft over retard. Did a visual but cannot say at this point which sensor it is because there are four on each side of the engine.
Has anyone come across this problem and what is it about?
Thank you guys.
Mahendra.
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 Mercedes Benz c220 ;1998 Toyota Corolla ;2006 Mercedes Benz c230; 2012 Audi A3 TDI
Hello again, since the day I posted, it has been more than one month and nobody replied to my post. For that time, I have been driving my car with the engine light on. There is no noticeable change in the engine function. All I know is that the camshaft sensor is involved in the code P0022-bank 2 camshaft timing over retard. I have a hard time pin pointing the sensor itself since there are four of them on each bank. And also which one is the bank 2, the left or the right ? Checked the dealer for availability of a camshaft sensor. The price is almost $350 CAD. What a rip off.
Can someone out there please show me the location of that sensor and also hint me if you have come across the same code sometime and what have you done to remedy the problem.
Thank you so much for your help.
Mahendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
I beleive you have the M272 V6 engine. If so, it coudl be one of the problems outlines in this TSB. DTC P0022 = Fault COde 0276, which would point to scenario #2 in this TSB:

M272/M273 Engine TSB

- RODNEY
rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: S320 (W220) and Zotye 1.3/Rolls Royce on back order (LOL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
I beleive you have the M272 V6 engine. If so, it coudl be one of the problems outlines in this TSB. DTC P0022 = Fault COde 0276, which would point to scenario #2 in this TSB:

M272/M273 Engine TSB
Correct, and the new camshaft adjusters simply enlarged the parameters but the real problem is the balance shaft.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
eric242340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thank you Rodney and Eric.
Rodney I read the Service Bulletin, scenario 2. It is very interesting. I have to mention also that the CE light also goes off by itself after a few days and then comes back on after a few more. Very often I would pull the code and it remains the P0022. Would it mean that the sensor itself is failing and why. if a code is set, the CE light would come on and off. Scenario 2 also points to a malfunction in the camshaft adjustment solenoid. Unfortunately I cannot run the test as MB would to figure the faulty solenoid and/or camshaft sensor. There are four of those sensor on each side of the engine. And I still do not have a clue which one is affected by the stored code P0022.
BTW Rodney, where did you get your hands on those valuable MB TSB. They are very task specific. Would you know where I could find the wiring diagram for the DTC.

Thank you very much Rodney. I will keep investigating the problem and hope to find out which one is the culprit. If you find any literature to help me please let me know.
I shall keep you posted.
Mahendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
Thank you Rodney and Eric.
Rodney I read the Service Bulletin, scenario 2. It is very interesting. I have to mention also that the CE light also goes off by itself after a few days and then comes back on after a few more. Very often I would pull the code and it remains the P0022. Would it mean that the sensor itself is failing and why. if a code is set, the CE light would come on and off. Scenario 2 also points to a malfunction in the camshaft adjustment solenoid. Unfortunately I cannot run the test as MB would to figure the faulty solenoid and/or camshaft sensor. There are four of those sensor on each side of the engine. And I still do not have a clue which one is affected by the stored code P0022.
BTW Rodney, where did you get your hands on those valuable MB TSB. They are very task specific. Would you know where I could find the wiring diagram for the DTC.

Thank you very much Rodney. I will keep investigating the problem and hope to find out which one is the culprit. If you find any literature to help me please let me know.
I shall keep you posted.
The fault code should actually state, left or right bank. If you are using SDS then simply double click the fault code using the mouse and it will reveal much more information for you to follow, for diagnostic purposes.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
Hello everyone,
my 2006 c230 has been having the check engine light on for a period of about three days and then it would go off again. Then after another three it would come on again and so on. With the scanner, I pulled the same code all the time. P0022, which is the bank 2 camshaft over retard. Did a visual but cannot say at this point which sensor it is because there are four on each side of the engine.
Has anyone come across this problem and what is it about?
Thank you guys.
Mahendra.
I just realised you said bank 2, this is the bank to your right when you are standing in front of the engine. And it is the larger of the two sensors.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

See the attached, the camshaft adjuster was modified to allow greater parameters, ie camshaft adjustment because of the balance shaft wear problem but you still have a balance shaft problem. Changing the adjuster for the new one will only keep the check engine light of for a longer period until the balance shaft is completely done.
Attached Thumbnails
Recurrent Code P0022-snap2.jpg   Recurrent Code P0022-snap3.jpg  
Old 08-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
In the event of a transient error, the CEL will extinguish itself after some number of starts without the error recurring. As Eric mentioned, the revised camshaft sensors just eliminate the error by allowing for a wider range of readings. BTW, I got that TSB from a thread on the 209 forum posted by user "Keyhole".
rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
In the event of a transient error, the CEL will extinguish itself after some number of starts without the error recurring. As Eric mentioned, the revised camshaft sensors just eliminate the error by allowing for a wider range of readings. BTW, I got that TSB from a thread on the 209 forum posted by user "Keyhole".
That TSB is all over the place. I have a paper copy in my desk drawer and use it to help customers understand the problem. This problem will not go away until the balance shaft is replaced with the modified shaft. Unfortunately that is an expensive job.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class