C230 K - Brakes and Pads - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Question C230 K - Brakes and Pads

Hello folks,

MB dealer during last service suggested to change the brake pads and rotors for my 2002- C230 Kompressor Coupe , I'm planning to change both front and rear.

My other service engineer friend suggested to use 'Wagener' brand, please suggest if it's worth to pay extra for the MB brand. If yes, I will definitely look at it. Your experiences will definitely help a newbie like me.

Let me know if I can buy the parts online, If yes which brand and website, please?

Thanks for reading.
swame_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2011
I've never heard of Wagener. The OEM pads that the dealer sells are Textar or Jurid, I believe. They work very, very well (I have driven with stock pads on a race track and they worked great) and are quiet but they dust a lot. If you aren't putting them to extreme use then you could probably get aftermarket pads that will dust much less. The rear pads tend to last much longer than the fronts. I wouldn't replace the rears unless they need it.

autohausaz.com is one online parts place. peachparts.com is another. I have used mercedespartspeople.com as well.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the details schumicat, appreciate for taking time to reply.

Textar and Jurid for both rotors and pads? I don't go through any extreme conditions except during the snow season that lasts for 2-3 months here.

You say I should check the existing the rear brakes if I could survive with it?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2006 C230 Sport
I will be doing the front brake pad and rotor myself, the MB dealer wanted to charge me a arm and a leg but at RMeuropean.com they charge me 4 fingers.....LOL cheep for the same OEM parts. I try to stick with OEM parts as much as possible.
Twobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
I put cheap brakes on my C240 - "Centric" drilled/slotted rotors and "PosiQueit" ceramic pads. I think it was about $300 for all four wheels. So far, I have been very happy with them. They stop much better than OEM with good pedal feel. There is no brake dust and the pads seem to be wearing quite well. I know many people will scoff at using such no-name Chinese parts, but the reality is many of the name-brand parts are no better and also come from China. If these brakes only last half as long as name brand parts, I'm still ahead of the game as they were less than half the cost. And like I said, in the most important aspect, they do a great job stopping.

- RODNEY
rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
... i got mine done yesterday was scheduled at the dealership but after reading some post here i cancelled and went to my indy

here's what my indy charge me ..
1 set frnt brake pads $104
2 frnt rotors $ 280
1 set rear pads $80
sensor $10
labor $190

whatcha think folks ? good price or not ... been with this guy for 4 yrs now ...

i was going to DIY but cant find time .. $200 for labor hoping thats not bad

99 C230
00 ML320
06 ML350
06 C230 "Totalled 2013 "
07 E350 Maybe
jprizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
If these brakes only last half as long as name brand parts, I'm still ahead of the game as they were less than half the cost. And like I said, in the most important aspect, they do a great job stopping.
Makes sense, gives me a feeling that I should go with the brand what my other service guy says. He said about some brand named 'Wagener'. I will see if I can get a better brand, will surely go for it. Thanks for the details appreciate it.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

@ jprizal, I think the MB dealer here quoted similar price around including e.thing. I'm not sure. Thanks for the details man, which brand did you opt for?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
Quote:
Originally Posted by swame_sp View Post
Makes sense, gives me a feeling that I should go with the brand what my other service guy says. He said about some brand named 'Wagener'. I will see if I can get a better brand, will surely go for it. Thanks for the details appreciate it.
I think that's actually "Wagner". They are a name brand brake pad made by a company called Federal Mogul, which also produces other well-known auto parts under the names Moog, Champion, and Anco. These are good, reliable "standard quality" parts. If you are looking for high-performance parts, then you should look elsewhere. My advice would be to go with ceramic pads. Also, ant-squeal compound is imperative.
rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
If you are looking for high-performance parts, then you should look elsewhere. My advice would be to go with ceramic pads. Also, ant-squeal compound is imperative.
Thanks for the details rudeney, one question on the 'high-performance parts', for a normal usage, do you think such parts are required? I'm looking for a cost effective parts that should work for 2-3 years maximum (more than that is obviously welcome). Not sure if I will be able to extract that many years.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class