Hot AND Cold Climate A/C Issue, Help! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Hot AND Cold Climate A/C Issue, Help!

Hey guys, I got a weird issue with the Benz. It's a 2004 C230 Kompressor. When I turn the air on, with both climate temp knobs set to coldest, the driver side vents blow warm to hot-ish air, while the passenger side vents blow cold air.

I'm wondering if I need to recharge the freon, but the difference in temps on both sides has me thinking that is not the issue.

Any ideas on what's going on here? Thanks in advance!
mcglsr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
I'd start by placing a thermometer in the vents on the passenger side. If it reads 40 degrees F, or lower, freon should be OK and probably there is some air duct obstruction or with an air distribution failure. Of course, it can also be an electronic control failure.

Defensive Driving is never having to say you're sorry: a true love story between man and machine.
JoeVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 04 C230 Kompressor
I agree with Joeval. Besides a shortage of freon (R-134a) would be warm air all round not just cold on one side. It seems as if one of the motorised dampers is stuck which is allowing the return air to be forced into the driver side supply duct. That, I don't know how to fix. I hope is it jammed & going over a bump works it loose then you're back in business!!!
Arn560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: m5,acura rsx type,S and slk amg 230
did you ever resole this im having a problem like this but my passenger is the hot one.

To follow the path: Look to the master,
Follow the master, Walk with the master,
See through the master, Become the master.

"Place me in the company of those who seek Truth, but deliver me from those who believe to have found it."
realeyezsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realeyezsoul View Post
did you ever resole this im having a problem like this but my passenger is the hot one.
No, I didn't. It went away by itself (for now, anyway). I suspect the issue is in the electronics that control the climate for each side. I don't think it's freon because the freon isn't split between drivers side and passenger side. Because the passenger side was cold, I think freon is fine. It seems more like the climate control on the drivers side, even though set to cold, was thinking it was set to warm. Thus warm air. At any rate, it sorted itself out, so I haven't bothered to look at it since. Fingers crossed for me it stays that way, and good luck to you - I hope yours sorts itself as well.

If it doesn't, and you figure out what's going on, please please update this thread so in the event it happens to me again I'll know what's going on
Old 07-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 2000 E320 4matic,
Anyone find a solution to this? My wife has a 2003 C230 Kompressor and now its ambient temp. air on driver's side and cold air on passenger side!!! Thanks.
JeffT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
Try a reset of the climate control system - press and hold both the recirculate and front defrost buttons until the lights start blinking. Release the buttons and wait a minute for the self-diagnostic test completes and the unit resets. This can sometimes help. If not, then it may be a broken control or stuck damper.

- RODNEY
rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: C200 Kompressor M111 2.0L Avantgarde Year 2002
Do flap syncro process as Mr.Rudeney say. If not fix, the flap linkage is broken or the servo motor is gone bad. Replace them the new good one.
DangTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 2005 E500
If the vehicle is equipped with a duo-valve(heater core shut off valve) it would most likely be a suspect component if the passenger side is hot and drivers side is cold. In some cases both sides will blow hot. Clamp the inlet to the duo-valve and see what happens.

If the temperature progressively gets warmer from the right to the left. this is usually a sign of low charge levels.
211.070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
Try a reset of the climate control system - press and hold both the recirculate and front defrost buttons until the lights start blinking. Release the buttons and wait a minute for the self-diagnostic test completes and the unit resets. This can sometimes help. If not, then it may be a broken control or stuck damper.
Thanks so much, I will give this a shot! By the way, it's back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211.070 View Post
If the vehicle is equipped with a duo-valve(heater core shut off valve) it would most likely be a suspect component if the passenger side is hot and drivers side is cold. In some cases both sides will blow hot. Clamp the inlet to the duo-valve and see what happens.

If the temperature progressively gets warmer from the right to the left. this is usually a sign of low charge levels.
I'm not sure if the vehicle is equipped with a duo-valve - meaning I don't know what that is so therefore don't know if the car has one or not However, the issue is the opposite of what you stated - the passenger side is COLD and the driver side is HOT. Does that then mean that it wouldn't be a duo-valve? We are taking the car in for Service B today, so I plan on asking them what they think - not to do any work on it, just see if they can shed some light on what the issue might be. Assuming the reset doesn't resolve it. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class