Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Introduction... 06 c350 6 Spd

5K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  MBfinatic 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey folks.

mbworld flunkee here. not here to cause trouble. nor was i there to do so. i tried to stand up against a moderator who took things way too far. that's neither here nor there... on with the show...

for those who don't know me, heres a breakdown of my daily driver and now officially my project car.

I have the gas powered 272.960 3.5L v6 rated at 268hp and a redline of 6500rpm. This is the same motor designation found in many models, including the 2008-2011 w204. 2012 will bring direct-injection into the equation, and it looks like the 3.5L will also be receiving a bump in power. What many people do not realise is that a version of the 3.5L motor has already recvd the bump in power (minus the direct-inj) to bring it up to over 300hp with a 7200rpm redline in an already existing model, the 08-11 SL350(272.968) and the 09-11 SLK350(272.969). These cars are more well known for the upgrade with the red stripe on the engine cover instead of the silver one. What many more people don't know, is not only what exactly those differences are, but that 90% of the differences between my "regular" c350 and the , for instance, 09+ slk350, can be upgrade to w/o touching the crank case. I realise this sort of venture is "extreme" for most, and "not applicable" to the average reader here. That said, my goal is to not only share this information, but to prove what can be done with a little bit of research, luck, and dedication.

I have already tracked down all of the part numbers, and have access to them a click away via EPC. Essentially, MB did the following to achieve the aforementioned power out of the same 3.5L motor:
82mm throttle body (vs 74mm)
Single-stage runner composite intake manifold (vs dual-stage aluminum)
larger intake and exhaust valves w/ sodium filled stems
conical-shaped hardened valvesprings w/ new rocker arms
more aggressive profile camshaft
11.7 compression ratio via domed pistons (up from 10.7)

All of the above can be essentially swapped into the lower-rated m272 3.5L.

I will be attemtping the swap of all but the pistons. the power difference from the CR is trivial compared to the work involved.

I have thus far acquired the intake manifold and throttle body. suprisingly, none of these parts are unreasonably expensive. for instance, the intake manifold is $220 from a popular OEM parts counter website. these two pieces are slated for install in a little over 2 weeks time by myself.

this weekend OBX headers are going in place (as well as birds eye maple trim from the silver).

To date I have done a few modifications, including an ECU tune and xenon-headlights w/ projectors retrofitted from a honda s2000, a higher quality projector that what the stock MB unit has to offer. OEM MB AMG spoiler. 07 wheels from my wife's c230. authentic brabus mono V 2-piece waiting for the summer. ...blah blah

Thats all for now. Good to be here, as i come to share info. if your ego feels threatened by what im doing or if you think its silly, please keep it to yourself. i bought this car late last year for a steal and can afford to have some fun with it, to go where no one else has gone before. plus, i get to do so with a 6spd :)

will provide some pics of mods with some simple obersvations. not patient enough to create DIYs but Ill do what I can.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I will be attemtping the swap of all but the pistons. the power difference from the CR is trivial compared to the work involved.
Eurocharged recently came out with a turbo kit for the 272. Consider that for the future and run lower compression pistons later? :)

#3 ·
That sir is worth considering someday. Ive always been very hard nosed about wanting to see how far I can take it N/A only, however there will be a point when I will want to go "all the way".

The only other thing I see that I forgot to add was that Ill be going with a set of Schrick cams, not the upgraded OE.

#6 ·
Yessir! I had it shipped here all the way from Salt Lake City as soon as I found it online. Their area was already getting hammered with the first blizzards at that time last year, so a RWD SS w/ summer tires was not something on their hot list. So not only scored a rare beauty, but did so for a great price.

Always room for more power, thank you. The m272 is an amazing motor, and the 3.5L variant has still left so much to be had from it.

Thank you, glad to be here. Good riddance mbworld. Now benzworld gets to be the host of this m272 project, the first of its kind.

#5 ·
Hey Cale,

Wondered what happened to ya over on that other forum.

Anyhow, good to see ya over here and keep us posted on the progress.

Greg

#8 · (Edited)
Greg,
Im happy to see a friendly-familiar face!

I posted a screencapture of a PM from the Mod NlpAmg, apparently that's a violation with punishment of banishment. I was at wits end and NO ONE in the admin would listen to me regarding how he was treating me.

Edit add:
Yes, this is my new update thread.
OBX headers going in today, as well as black birdseye maple trim.

#7 ·
Thank you, glad to be here. Good riddance mbworld. Now benzworld gets to be the host of this m272 project, the first of its kind.
There's a lot of attitude elsewhere. I've found this by far to be the friendliest Mercedes-benz forum. Sucks the AMG section is completely dead though... Username on mbworld is "gt4awd".

#9 ·
By attitude perhaps you mean... elitist, egomaniacal, self-righteous.... any of those desc words apply?

Mbworld is a great example.

There are small, even tiny, interjections of intelligence mixed with friendliness (ie Greg), amoungst a SWELL of elitist pigs or bratty children

#11 ·
Greg,

It is pretty amazing re: the fuel efficiency of my motor ;). you should consider a tune, if for mpgs if noting else. my friends m112/c320 went up 4-6 peak hwy mpgs. i went up about 2-3.

headers are in! pictures awaiting transfer. still need to have downpipes welded to the y-pipe tho, so results await.

#12 · (Edited)
long story short; had to drive 3 hours home with open headers. will be welded to exhaust system tomorrow. got a quick video of short revs up to 2k rpm only, at an apartment... cant politely go any further in the rev range than this. loud enough.

even with video, justice is not paid for how loud it is. even at idle can barely hear yourself think.

#13 ·
Sounds really pissed off, Cale. You changing out the rest of the exhaust system as well or welding up the stock set-up?

#14 ·
Greg,

Yes it does! Going to stick with current setup for now: single-out flowmaster 50 series delta. A (poor) soundclip of it before headers is on my youtube account as well. It's yet been a nice subtle, low exhaust note... something I hope it carries over even with headers. Im not too big on obnoxious exhaust, but I do want it to sound like "euro muscle". I'd like to add an x-pipe and a dual out muffler sometime in the future, with both exits out the drivers side.

#15 ·
$80 toll, and Im back on the road with a legal, muffled exhaust system. Two pieces of pipe were welded in between the y-pipe and ea individual collector/flange at header.

the new sound...
Quiet and smooth at idle and under cruise... race inspired and ready to have its way with your girlfriend when on the acceleration. definite improvement over factory exhuast manifold re: torque/acceleration. a new car again.

actually, borderline a little too much interior resonance for me. not sure if another resonator would actually even fix that. may need to lay down sound deadner.

also, picked up new camshaft-expansion plug set for rear of cylinder head(s). mine was seeping oil due to bad cap. $23 for all 3 at parts counter.
000 998 56 90 (drivers intake side, qty 1)
000 998 55 90 (driver and passenger exhaust side, qty 2)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.