BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 06 c230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
C230 2006 thermostat replacement

Hey guys, this is my first post. Love the website. Lots of good information, but now I have a problem. My thermostat went out in my 2006 c230. The check engine light came on and when I ran the diagnostic it said the thermostat and or thermostat sensor was at fault. I had noticed in the last few days that it was taking an awful long time for my heater to warm up. So apparently the thermostat is sticking in the open position because the car flat out does not get up to regular operating temp.

Anybody have any experience changing the thermostat on a 6cylinder c230?

I will try to post a picture of it (if i figure out how) and here is the model number of the thermostat from MB: A 272 200 01 15

Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4386.jpg
Views:	2200
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	356642  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 07:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: S320 (W220) and Zotye 1.3/Rolls Royce on back order (LOL)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I assume you have the 272 engine so here are the instructions, click on the first pic to enlarge and then click next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap13.jpg
Views:	2691
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	356644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap14.jpg
Views:	3720
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	356645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap15.jpg
Views:	1145
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	356646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap16.jpg
Views:	959
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	356647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap17.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	356648  

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 07:57 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you sooooo much Eric. I think this will help me a lot. I will try to do this tomorrow.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 08:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
One other question. After I install the new thermostat. Do I need to some how reset the check engine light or does it reset itself automatically? I am going to disconnect the battery before I do anything.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: S320 (W220) and Zotye 1.3/Rolls Royce on back order (LOL)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspelhaug View Post
One other question. After I install the new thermostat. Do I need to some how reset the check engine light or does it reset itself automatically? I am going to disconnect the battery before I do anything.
Good question, but with this type of fault code I really

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 02:26 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Well I just finished installing the thermostat. Took vehicle for a test drive and the temperature is back to normal. However, just as I thought, the code does not erase. So I went ahead and bought me a scanner from Autozone. Ran the diagnostic and deleted the code. Everything is back to normal.

So if anyone else has this problem, it was not too bad installing the thermo just had to take alot apart to get to it, i.e. the serpantine belt, "air flow thing," some hoses etc.

Tools used (sockets)= 10mm, 17mm, (torks)= both internal and external t-30.
Hope it doesn't happen to you because the thermostat was not cheep. $156 but my dealership gave me a break of $122. And to delete the code after its all over, you will need a scantool.

Happy trails to all.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2005 C230 Kompressor in White
This is my first post on this forum as I'm looking for info to do this on a 2005 C230 Komp. I know it's a different engine but I was told by a friend that these kind of error codes will reset after 5 cycles without and indication. He wasn't positive on the number of cycles but thought it was something like that on ths generation of the ODB II system. It seems to have proven true with what my wife has said. She said that the check engine light has gone off and back on. So I'm assuming that her's is sticking open as well because she says she has noticed it not warming up as fast as well on her drive to work.

It's a little bit more complicated on my end because she is currently working in another state. So I'm trying to figure out what I need to bring to do the job away from home.

Good Job on the repair.

Justin
#8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:44 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey Justin. You may be right on the check engine light. However I don't know if it would erase the actual code in the memory or not. Of coarse having a code in the archive memory probably would not hurt any. After installing the thermo, the engine did get up to normal temp, then went down, and then went up again. I think this was because the computer had to reset. As soon as I did the install I went and bought a scanner tool, so I don't know for sure if the check engine light would have reset on its own. I felt the scanner was a good investment to have incase something else happens. As far as what you will need to take to replace it in your wife's car? I can't be much help because as you said they are different engines (V6 vs supercharged 4). My car is mostly torx (both internal and external) as I am sure yours is too.

When she has driven the car for awhile, ask her to tell you approx what temp the car is at. Mine was reading around 78-79 degrees Celsius, which is about 172-174 Fahrenheit. The thermostat should open at approx 100 degrees celsius which was stamped on the thermo housing. I know your car does not take the same thermostat (yours is much cheaper). I think yours is just the thermo and not the whole housing like mine was.

Good luck Justin. Wish I had a good answer for you.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2005 C230 Kompressor in White
No worries. I think she has said previously that it's staying right at the 80 mark. So it sounds like right about what you are saying.

And i think you're 100 % on the code staying in the computer even though the Check Engine light goes off. I don't think you can go wrong owning your own scanner. One use and it's paid for it's self and it should be good for future cars unless they come out with a OBD III?? And even if they do, hopefully it won't become completely useless.

Thanks!
#10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 04:57 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2011
Do the same instructions apply for a 2007? Have the issue with my sons 2007 c230.

We are not overly mechanical but it seems doable....would you agree?

PD

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class