BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smart Key Problem

Hi Everyone,

I got a problem with using my smart keys and while I have found a great many posts that talk about smart key issues, I have yet to see one that discusses the specific issues I am having. Here is what I know:

Info: 2003 C32 4-Door Sedan

Symptoms: After the car sits for a while 1+ hours the smart key fails to unlock/lock the car. After manually unlocking the car and placing the key in the ignition, regardless of whether I started the car or not, the key will work once again.

Diagnosis:
1. At first I thought it was the batteries in the key so I checked them. I also tried my spare key....the problem persisted with both keys, which points to the problem being in the car.

2. I thought I had an issue with the battery in the car. I had the charging system tested and it seems to be working fine.

3. I thought there could be a draw or short on the battery, so last night I record the battery voltage when I parked the car 12.87V, this morning I went out and checked the voltage to see how much it had been drained but it showed 12.47V.

4. Since the smart key works part of the time, I doubt it's the IR or RF antenna.

My theory:
There is something wrong with the EIS or the receiver in the the car? Has anyone else experienced something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Try the resync procedure for the key - turn the key to position 2 (don't start the engine), then back to position 0 and remove it. Hold the "lock" button on the fob and then press the "unlock" button on the fob five times within ten seconds. If that doesn't work, try removing and re-inserting fuse #8.

--

- RODNEY
#3 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:47 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply but it didn't work.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 06:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Remote unlocking uses a rolling code security system. This is exactly what happens when the rolling code gets out of sync (which is why I suggested the resync procedure). You say you checked the batteries in the keys - did you actually replace them? The ignition switch does have a coil in it that can inductively power the key so that even if the battery is dead, it can still be validated. It's possible the batteries are dead and the ignition switch is giving them just enough power to work for an hour.

I guess it's also possible that the car's system is failing. You might try disconnecting the car's battery for about 10 minutes to "reboot" its electronics. Nothing "bad" will happen, but you will have to resync steering angle sensor (turn the steering wheel lock to lock) and resync the power windows and sunroof (open then close each one and hold the switch closed for 10 seconds).

--

- RODNEY
#5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 07:51 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Hi rudeney,

First off, thanks for all the replies. Regarding the battery keys, yes I checked and REPLACED them.

I think you might be onto something with the car and keys getting out of sync, the car is now at the dealership so we'll see how it goes. I will keep you guys up to date.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by asicman View Post
Hi rudeney,

First off, thanks for all the replies. Regarding the battery keys, yes I checked and REPLACED them.

I think you might be onto something with the car and keys getting out of sync, the car is now at the dealership so we'll see how it goes. I will keep you guys up to date.
What did the dealer come up with?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class