my smart key locks and unlocks but wont start my car!! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2009
Unhappy my smart key locks and unlocks but wont start my car!!

hey guys id really like some help!
a few weeks ago my smart key started to let me down. i will put it in the ignition and nothing will happen. after a few tries ill get that shuunk noise and i can start the car. no problems once started and i can still lock and unlock my doors.
today it officially stopped working . i put it in the ignition and i couldnt get it to work. locks still work. just no starting the car or unlocking the steering wheel.
its a 1999 c230 kompressor if that helps

also i found a place called pamsauto. they sold me a key and ignition out of another c230. they took my vin to confirm the match. but today i read that a EIS cant be recoded will i need to do this since it also came with a key??

thanks for any help!!
jamesschimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: '98 C230 '07 SLK 280 '86 2.3-16 '06 Audi A3 2.0T FSI
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to rjb190e Send a message via Yahoo to rjb190e
Do you only have one key? Had a key just stop working on my '98 a while back, the other two still work fine. The key and ignition from another won't work to my knowledge (maybe with dealer programming) but I doubt it. The dealer is the only place to get keys. Shop around, they should be no more than $200, some will charge up to $300.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2009
ya sadly i only have one key. do you think the problem could be the key alone? because the key still opens doors and what not and its got a new battery.
also with a used ignition if i have the key that goes with it they wont work?
jamesschimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: '98 C230 '07 SLK 280 '86 2.3-16 '06 Audi A3 2.0T FSI
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to rjb190e Send a message via Yahoo to rjb190e
The ignition and operation of the locks have nothing in common. The key will work in the ignition without batteries. See if the dealer still makes valet keys. They are about as thick as 3 credit cards, contain no batteries and and have a removable key for the doors. May be less than the $200 for a new key. The infared keys work on random codes when inserted into the ignition. I guess they can run out or go bad. Did you clean both infared contacts on the key and the car?
rjb190e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: C200 Kompressor M111 2.0L Avantgarde Year 2002
Check if the fuse for start system is not blown. One of the fuse is located in the driver dash side. Open the side cover and you will see a paper of fuse diagram. Check the fuse with diagram. If the fuse is good, I think EIS module may be malfunction.
But be sure about car battery too. Check the voltage and connection.
DangTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2007
My 2001 C-class started doing the same thing yesterday. When car was 1 yr old a key failed and was replaced. about 3 years ago the other failed. had been using the 1 key fine for about 8 years now. Now all keys dead including valet key and car is sitting in my garage. Am considering calling St Charles Mercedes Benz to get new keys and recoding. How much is this going to cost?? Does anybody have any other ideas. These smart keys are obviously stupid keys and total shit. Mercedes electronics nightmares continue. Pitty as otherwise love the car.
ptins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
They can sell you a new key without touching the car. It's what is known as a 'replacement' key and will invalidate the existing keys. It should be about $200 but some dealers are cheaper. You put it in and the car will recognize it after a few minutes.

BTW, that 'stupid' key is why your theft insurance was so cheap. These cars basically have to be flatbedded to be stolen.
zeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: '00 CLK 320 Avantgarde
had the same problem on my clk

there's small transponder antena inside the key, thin as a hair, that had broken in my case...a friend who works with fine electronics managed to solder it back together
DDobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 2005 C230 White Coupe
I have a White 2005 C230 Kompressor which I have had for about about 2 years, and I love the car. However when I bought it the dealer only gave me 1 smartkey.

I don't know if it was my heavy fingers or thin plastic, but about 6 months ago the key button cracked eventually opening up a small hole in the plastic of the unlock portion of the key. I put some electrical tape around it and searched for a replacement key until I found out how expensive it was to replace.

Then about 6 weeks ago I started having problems with the car not starting when I put the smartkey in the ignition. The ignition would not turn. At first in was 1 in every 20 trys, then 1 in every 10 trys. I tried cleaning the exterior of the key but that didn't help. In the past few weeks the problem got worse, down to 1 in every 3 trys. I couldn't live with it any longer.

I went to my local non dealer MB mechanic thinking he would know someone who did the ignition & key replacement at a discounted price, or maybe he could do it. The price quoted was five to seven hundred dollars, and he would still have to go through the dealership. Additionally the car would be out of service for 2 days.

Thinking this ignition would not wear out at 50,000 miles, and knowing it was gonna cost me a bundle real soon I tried one last thing. I took the tape off the key and through the cracked hole I sprayed electrical contact cleaner inside, the kind used for electronics. The result, the smartkey works every time! Apparently dust or lint had got inside, maybe some on the board. Thought i'd pass this along.

At any rate I have seen a few MB owners here have purchased replacement keys from non dealers. Can anybody direct me?

Thanks in advance!

Al

Last edited by ALBEE; 08-23-2010 at 08:37 AM.
ALBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: S320 (W220) and Zotye 1.3/Rolls Royce on back order (LOL)
No simple fix here chaps, EIS is messed up and it means change the EIS and then scn coding, dealer job.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
eric242340 is online now   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class