BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2005 C230 Kompressor Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
C230 K '05 Performance mods?

Are there any worthwhile performance mods for an '05 C230 K? Pulley kits? Air filters? Exhaust? etc? Did a search but got confusing results about different pulley kits that were discontinued or just caused the supercharger to run hotter and less efficient.

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C230K Sport Sedan
There's stuff you can do like a chip or pulley, or both. Some people have had success, some haven't felt it was worth it. For example, I would not even know who sells a pulley kit for you car as the ones I've heard of 2 years ago are no longer being made. There's a few companies doing ECU mod. Some people have put in full end to end exhausts, like the header and exhausts from Kleemann, again, don't think they still sell them.

2004.5 C230K - Pewter/Charcoal - www.Buellwinkle.com

http://www.mylavista.com
#3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 08:55 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Wow, not much out there.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 2005 230 Kompressor
The M271 motor is pretty much tweaked from the factory for max performance given it's size, and there is not alot of other aftermarket engine options sort of spending a bunch of money. I think the factory boost level is somewhere around 12lbs give or take, so the motor is already pushing the limits.

After doing a bunch of research and finding out the same thing you are learning, I decided to have my ECU reflashed by Powerchip, which increased the low and mid range fairly well. Then I revised the air inductions system slighty for better breathing. Overall it was just a modest increase in power, and I am happy with the results and keep the mods within my budget, but unless you want to spend big bucks on pulley kits or an exhaust header, there is not much out there to choose from, and fewer companies to select from as well for this particular motor.

Nokiemon
2005 230 Kompressor SS
#5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 02:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Essman View Post
The M271 motor is pretty much tweaked from the factory for max performance given it's size, and there is not alot of other aftermarket engine options sort of spending a bunch of money. I think the factory boost level is somewhere around 12lbs give or take, so the motor is already pushing the limits.

After doing a bunch of research and finding out the same thing you are learning, I decided to have my ECU reflashed by Powerchip, which increased the low and mid range fairly well. Then I revised the air inductions system slighty for better breathing. Overall it was just a modest increase in power, and I am happy with the results and keep the mods within my budget, but unless you want to spend big bucks on pulley kits or an exhaust header, there is not much out there to choose from, and fewer companies to select from as well for this particular motor.
How much was the reflash? Did they send you a flashing tool or did you go to their facility? Any required mods for the retune? What did you do to the air induction to help it breath better?

Not looking to spend a lot of money and go crazy on major mods. I just like for the car to be better than it was stock.

Thanks for the info!

2005 C230 K
Pewter/Charcoal/Auto
#6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2002 C32 AMG
As they have said the M271 is very limited when it comes to engine modifications. I would say ECU tune is where you will get power gains for the cheapest...

2002 C32 AMG Sedan [111,000 Miles]
Clear Side Markers | CL Style Grille | Flat Emblem | CF Front Lip Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | CF Trunk Spoiler
K&N Air Filters | NGK IX (2 Step) | KV-85 | LET 185MM & ECU | TVT Thermostat | PSK Belt Wrap | CM30
DIY Intercooler Isolation | 26x7x2 FB H/E | Intercooler Reservoir | Battery Relocation | Lorinser Sides
#7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:22 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002c230 View Post
As they have said the M271 is very limited when it comes to engine modifications. I would say ECU tune is where you will get power gains for the cheapest...
Thanks for the advice. I bought this car mainly because I liked the looks, style, gas mileage, and comfort. My thing is, I just mod cars. I have a heavlily modified/supercharged Mustang GT, an SVT Lightning, and an Aprilia Mille (Italian V-twin superbike), so I already have three vehicles that do zero to 60 in under 4.2 seconds.

Just looking to get a little more out of it without losing reliability and still get over 30mpg on the highway. I just can't leave stock alone, I guess.

I love this car, lot of luxury and tech for the money! Thanks for all the advice.

2005 C230 K
Pewter/Charcoal/Auto
#8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C230K Sport Sedan
You can always mod looks instead of engine. There are plenty of body kits and nice wheels and lowering kits so it looks faster than your Mustang without all the fuss of going fast.

If by chance you got an automatic, you may want to look at the Sprint Booster. It won't make the car go any faster, but it will feel faster by remapping the pedal position sensor. I'm about to go get it for my Smart Car this week. Not as necessary on my MB because it's a 6-spd.

2004.5 C230K - Pewter/Charcoal - www.Buellwinkle.com

http://www.mylavista.com
#9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 11:07 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle View Post
You can always mod looks instead of engine. There are plenty of body kits and nice wheels and lowering kits so it looks faster than your Mustang without all the fuss of going fast.

If by chance you got an automatic, you may want to look at the Sprint Booster. It won't make the car go any faster, but it will feel faster by remapping the pedal position sensor. I'm about to go get it for my Smart Car this week. Not as necessary on my MB because it's a 6-spd.
Ah yes, I had that issue on a Mustang. I've had two '05 Mustangs, one a 5 speed auto, the other a 5 speed manual. They come with a nice little bit of throttle lag in the auto from the factory. A new map definitely makes if feel faster off the line.

I do have an auto and I feel it lagging off the line as well. It's not what I'm used to with the two V-8s with over 400 ftlbs of torque in them.

I am getting lots of compliments with this car. Looks pretty good from the factory. Maybe go with a carbon fiber lip for the front first, then an '06 style rear spoiler.

2005 C230 K
Pewter/Charcoal/Auto
#10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2002 C32 AMG
Your not going to get the M271 anywhere near your other vehicles, and if you want a similar high horsepower Mercedes-benz capable of many modifications get a C32 or E55 AMG. Definitely won't be making 30MPG though... I'm averaging 14-17MPG city after modifications on my C32 AMG.

2002 C32 AMG Sedan [111,000 Miles]
Clear Side Markers | CL Style Grille | Flat Emblem | CF Front Lip Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | CF Trunk Spoiler
K&N Air Filters | NGK IX (2 Step) | KV-85 | LET 185MM & ECU | TVT Thermostat | PSK Belt Wrap | CM30
DIY Intercooler Isolation | 26x7x2 FB H/E | Intercooler Reservoir | Battery Relocation | Lorinser Sides

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.