#1 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 07:04 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
wheel bearing replacement

We have a very loud noise coming from the driver side ( the side she ran off the road). I'm thinking that it may not be a bad idea to replace wheel bearing. Any write ups out there? Is there a haynes/chilton equivalent I might could buy?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:03 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1993 400E
there's a hayes and chilton available. try searching on google.

question: i was just about to make a new thread like this. how do i know which part is broken? wheel bearing or hub? i can give specific info if you need. for now my car 101% sure needs the wheel bearing or hub or rotor replaced.

Last edited by pdorion1986; 10-12-2009 at 05:28 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:28 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1993 400E
#4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:57 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
if your wheel bearings are destroyed you will get a lot of squeakiness... if this is happening stop driving your car and get it into the shop... when the bearings finally go they are going to start coming out of the races and they will probably collect inside your dust cap... this is extremely bad as the only thing that holds your hub to the spindle/axle is the wheel bearings themselves. You have two sets of bearings, inner and outer. Replace both of them at the same time if you do replace either. You are going to want/need a hydraulic press to get the races into the spindle.. and night mare enough is that the stock bearing races are flush with the spindle so they are going to be near impossible to get out. Tell you what... I'll take pictures of the whole thing later tonight as I am currently in the process of dealing with all of this jazz right now. I drive a c230k sport coupe 2002. The autozone bearings i picked up are actually OEM (timken) which is stamped on the original bearings. but the bearings autozone suggested do not fit appropriately... i'm currently in the process of finding the right sized bearings right now.

Alternatively, if your hub was cracked you would be having similar issues and similar repair but you probably could determine if it was cracked by just taking the wheel/caliper/caliper holder/rotor off and then just giving it a through inspection.

In the advanced version of bearing failure you will get smoke from the friction of broken bearings, an almost shooting noise when the bearings are expelled from the tire, and when enough bearings are gone you will get lots of vibration as the hub is no longer supported. Final symptom (especially at highway speeds), include the hub ripping from the spindle which may take the wheel, rotor, brakes, and remaining bearings with it, this would almost certainly rip the whole spindle off the car snapping the brake lines and nullifying your brake pedal. Your car would dip immediately towards the missing wheel and you will lose all steering, sliding into whatever gets you to finally stop. Those bearings are very serious business.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class