Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

C230 Visit Workshop ESP in the middle of freeway

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  zeet 
#1 ·
hello all

i have a mercedes benz c230 2 door 2003.. last night coming home from work i turned it on and it said check engine.. on my way home, the display flashed "visit workshop ESP" and a few seconds after that the car seemed to not have power and every display on the board turned on and that lasted a split second and the lights on the board turned off and the car seemed to have power again.. after another few seconds it happened again and i pulled to the side of the freeway.. after about 5-10 minutes, i turned it back on and it wouldnt start at first.. it just got stuck at the "engine trying to turn on" sound.. after a few more tries it managed to turn all the way on, check engine light was still on but i managed to get home.. after about an hour of being home, i decided to go out and get fast food, while i was on the drive way, i left the engine on for about 2 minutes and the engine turned off by itself and all the dash board lights were on.. tried turning it on again, it made that "trying to turn on" sound again.. after a few tries, it was successful.. so i went to taco bell.. while trying to park, the engine shut off again.. i tried to turn it on again and it made that "trying to turn on" sound about 3 times until it got to a point where it wont make a sound at all when i turn the key.. and now its at taco bell's parking lot, luckily walking distance frm home.. does anyone know what the problem could be?

also, id like to note that a few days ago, warning light came on saying "check coolant level".. also it always says "engine level too high" since i had it oil changed.. mechanic says that the sensor is faulty because he just put the amount of oil that was supposed to be on it like in the manual or something..

also note on the side, my steering wheel left controls dont work, the right ones (for the volume) do.. so now, my display always says "service B exceeded 17000+ miles) even if id just had it serviced because they cant reset the display coz the controls dont work.. does anyone have a suggestion about this too?

would really appreciate the help..

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to BenzWorld! I'll slide your query down to the W203 section, where you're far more likely to garner a helpful response. You might also consider completing your user profile, many find that information helpful in regard to providing you with the best possible response.

#4 ·
Does the car have the original battery? A bad battery can cause ESP errors, along with other weird electrical glitches. A good battery should be able to crank the car for 30+ seconds. If your car only cranked a few seconds and then would no longer crank, you likely need a new battery. Mercedes Benz roadside will replace the battery for just the cost of the part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.