Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2001 C240 Classic - Keyless Entry Difficulties

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  brant-007 
#1 ·
Good afternoon everyone:

When I first purchased my vehicle I was told by the used car dealer that the remote key did not work. However, I do not believe that they tried very hard to rectify the issue. To my surprise I found that the key will lock and unlock the vehicle via the IR transmitter.

However, I have not been able to get the RF transmitter to lock or unlock the vehicle. What I've tried so far is to:

1) Replace the No. 8 Fuse (7.5 A)

2) Tested Fuse No. 9, 21, 22, 32, & 33 --> All Okay

3) Restore the Key to Factory Settings (per the Owner's Manual - i.e. hold lock and unlock buttons for six seconds waiting for two flashing lights).

4) Resync the key via the procedure that I inferred from reading various posts on keyless entry problems, i.e. turn the key to Position 2, turn the key to Position 0, remove the key, hold the lock button and press the unlock button five times all within ten seconds.

I am unsure of what to do next. The batteries were replaced in the key fob when I first received it. I am confused as to what would allow the IR system to function correctly (albeit intermittantly and from a very short distance) while the RF system does not function. I have heard reference to issues with window tint and radio reception; however, my radio reception is fine.

The only other piece of information that may be impacting the situation is that the key is not an original for the vehicle. Nevertheless, as mentioned above the IR system does work.

Are there any specific resyncing procedures for the 2001 W203? Or can anyone make any other suggestions?

Thank you,

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.